Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from a very chilly SE MA  (Read 3540 times)

Offline Bill B

• Brood
Hello from a very chilly SE MA
« on: January 17, 2007, 08:29:42 am »
Hi,

My name is Bill and this is my first post here.  I don't have any bees - yet.  My wife Linda and I have decided to start beekeeping this year and are trying to learn as much as possible before we do.  We have joined the Norfolk County Beekeepers Association in Walpole MA and bee school starts next month.

We haven't bought any equipment yet.  I figure that the biggest issue we will need to address is the wood vs. plastic. (Although they may be interchangeable, I don't know.)

At first blush, this site looks like it will be a great resource.  I hope to chat with many of you on the other forums.

Later,
Bill B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Hello from a very chilly SE MA
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 09:40:45 am »
Bill welcome.  I have been a member of this forum for a couple of months and have found it to be a wonderful place for learning, listening to new beekeepers, ones that have had some experience and then the obvious gurus of the field, many having spent over 50 years among the bees.

Ask your questions, read the posts, you will learn all the time and learning is good.  I have been keeping bees for 2 years now and can't wait to implement much of the knowledge that I have gained through this resource the short time that I have been here.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 10:38:42 am »
Welcome you will love it here on the Forum put your Local on your profile it will make it easier to help
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:52:21 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 10:45:11 pm »
Hi,

My name is Bill and this is my first post here.  I don't have any bees - yet.  My wife Linda and I have decided to start beekeeping this year and are trying to learn as much as possible before we do.  We have joined the Norfolk County Beekeepers Association in Walpole MA and bee school starts next month.

We haven't bought any equipment yet.  I figure that the biggest issue we will need to address is the wood vs. plastic. (Although they may be interchangeable, I don't know.)

At first blush, this site looks like it will be a great resource.  I hope to chat with many of you on the other forums.

Later,
Bill B
Howdy, Bill, fancy meeting you here  :)  Pay attention to Michael Bush, he's a wealth of knowledge!

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 01:23:52 pm »
Greetings- just wanted to say Hi to another person from MA. I am living here in the city of Cleveland, but I spent most of my life in central MA. Attended the Worcester County bee school twice, loved it both times. Hope you have fun on the forum :-D

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 12:20:29 pm »
Hi and welcome to your new obsession!!!
You can lurk for years here and still learn something every week :)  Questions are welcomed.

Plastic and wood are interchangeable.  I love the plastic foundation that I have.  Everything has both pros and cons and you will have to decide what is best for yourself.  Take all advice with a grain of salt, there are always at least two sides presented.  Sometimes in the same post :shock:  (not always just mine).

Enjoy and have fun!

-rick
Rick

Offline GerryL

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2007, 09:12:54 pm »
Hello in Walpole. I'm from windham, ME originally from Brookline, MA

This is my first year, looks like a very good site for learning.  also punch up beekers in Ma
I'm sure you have a local chapter.

Good luck
Gerry
Gerry L

anything