Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How much poop is too much poop? (And how many corpses is too many corpses?)  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
This has been an interesting week so far.  I set up two new hives this week and the experience has been quite different than starting my first hive last year.  I kept a pretty detailed journal, so I know it is more than my memory this is different.

First, both of these new hives are poop machines.  My existing hive gets some little brown/orange dots that build up when it doesn't rain.  Both of the new hives are covered in long dark streaks.  The insides of the hives are reasonably clean, but the outsides are a mess.  Something to be concerned about?

In addition, the new hives don't seem very good about bringing out the dead.  My first hive is very quick about this.  I have noted in my journal that they pushed out all the dead from the package in the first two days.  The new hives have dead littering the bottom board and they don't seem inclined to move them out.  I guess maybe I ought to just sweep the bottom board next time I open the hives.  But, again, is this something to be concerned about?

Other than these differences, all three hives appeared busy today and were out in force once things warmed up.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Sounds like Nosema, try feeding them some 1:1 syrup with 1 tsp cider vinegar per gallon of syrup.  The cider vinegar seems to head off Nosema--I've been doing it for years and I can't remember the last time I had a Nosema problem.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline asciibaron

• House Bee
    • The Elvaton Apiary
i'm filing away the use of cider vinegar - i like low tech solutions and mixing up syrup is a heck of a lot better than making grease patties. 

-Steve