Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Use of Tyvek Suits for Bee Suit  (Read 15795 times)

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
Re: Use of Tyvek Suits for Bee Suit
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 12:39:54 pm »
Larry, I thought Bud broke you of gloves? ;)

Hi Mike!

WRONG !!!

I went back to my bee suit and gloves as soon as I got back from Mississippi. I was using the gloves that your friend gave me, (his name has slipped my mind right now), but only have one pair left. When I have my bee suit and gloves on, I'm very calm when working my bees. Without them, I'm a nervous wreck!!!

June and I really enjoyed meeting you at Bud 4 !

Larry

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 01:10:00 pm »
ive used tyvek, they work well when u get into a mean hive.  considering its what they wrap  new houses with to seal then up, they dont breathe.   you can soak yourself with the water hose and get it over with! there are some gloves called raven, that are puncture proof 17 a box.  I am doug with the bees and get stung all the time.

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 01:11:13 pm »
First, what is the intended first-use of Tyvek ?    Answer: Vapor Barrier wrapped around houses.

Second, what do we do when we work in hot weather ?     Answer: We sweat.  A lot.

Third, what is the effect of surrounding one-self with Tyvek while sweating?  Answer: Nothing good.

While you could get away with it short term, trying it over an hour or more's work would be inviting heatstroke or worse.

In.  My.  Opinion.

Gary

Offline jataylor

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 08:33:22 pm »
Great idea.  Could also serve as a great classroom for kids learning about beginning bee keeping.  I'm going to look into it.  Thanks.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 09:00:10 pm »
You can buy very cheap jackets and suits on Ebay that are imports.   You are getting what you pay for I bet.   But they are good for starters.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 12:59:35 am »
or just save a little and get an ultrabreeze!

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 02:05:07 pm »
I use the nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight, have been for years, but they are disposable. They have 3 different thicknesses The white Hospital type are 3 mils, the blue are 4mils, the black are 7 mils thick (too thick) but nondestructive. I use the blue if you are stung the bees do not loose their stinger and only feels like a prick. Plus they are only $5.99 per 100.  I do a lot of cut - outs and Traps and if the bees are irritable i wear them. I also wear a pull over mosquito top and the gloves only, hung my Dadent suit up in the bee house.  Have those pull overs for sale $15. & $20. med, l, XL.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 05:08:09 pm »
Thanks JPBEEGETTER for the information and welcome to the site.

We already have a JP on this site and he really is a "beegetter".  :-D

Larry

Offline JPBEEGETTER

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 09:00:37 am »
Thanks for ww Larry, Yes I know . Am looking forward to meeting him. Have already met Iddee , he is the reason I am in here. Met him at our monthly meeting Sat. night (Forsyth County Beekeepers Assoc.) Winston-Salem NC. Had Michael Bush for speaker. Great time. I have developed a containment box for trap=outs and Iddee wants me to share . Will at later date. Thanks again for ww.

Offline Pre-Bee (Rowan)

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 11:15:40 pm »
Yes, tyvek is hot but it is what I've been using since I got my bees this year.  Try telling your friends to bring their swimsuits to wear underneath, and if you are going to be wearing them for longer than one hive, drink something cold before you go out.