Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive two still not right  (Read 2094 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
hive two still not right
« on: May 12, 2006, 08:45:17 pm »
Hello

I did my third inspection today on my two hives the first hive is on a rolli will have to super them in about a week or two. But the second one they are working and the new queen is laying but they are turning worker comb into drone comb. And they are drawing the foundation into drone cells but the drones are normal size and i also seen them carrying out larvae i don't know what is going on the queen is laying in the worker cells but the other comb is so full of honey and pollen that she has no room can i correct this and if so please tell me.

Tom

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
hive two still not right
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:54:51 pm »
Couldn't you switch out some of the frames from hive #1 to #2 to give them room, sounds like they are honeybound.
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
hive two still not right
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 10:26:58 pm »
Try an empty frame in between two brood combs.  That will open it up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
hive two still not right
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 02:11:10 am »
My guess is the next thing you'll see is queen cells.  I found that an over abundance of drone cells can be the first sign of a swarm mindset.  Build up the gene pool for the virgin.
This hive sounds honey bound and both other suggestions are good.  When you super pull two full frames up and if you use the system MB and I like, everything one size, its easy as said and done.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline tom

• House Bee
I am going to try this
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 04:14:39 pm »
Hello

I apologize for not being able to respond faster but my pc has not been working. I wil do something to the second hive soon the wheather here has been cool and lots of rain but i am seeing them dragging out young drone brood and they are working alot more and i am seeing more carniolans then at first. I want to boost the workers more by taking out one or two frames of sealed brood from the first hive and give it to the second one.The first hive has been bringing in alot of pollen and are working even when it is to cool outside for other bees to work i am going to put a super on them this weekend if the sun comes out and it warms up. Thank you all for your helpful advice and i will keep you all informed on how things turn out.

Tom

anything