Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Eyelet size in frames  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Bob in MO

• Brood
Eyelet size in frames
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:16:10 am »
Hi everyone, newbee here. I just started learning about bee keeping and plan on building my own hives this winter. Can anyone tell me what the diameter is of the eyelets that go in the frames for the support wire?
thanks,
bob

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Eyelet size in frames
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:44:35 pm »
Some people use a stapler to put a staple on the side of the hole that the wire pulls towards.  Some just don't use anything.  I think I've only met one or two people who actually use the eyelets.  It requires a LOT of work.

The holes for the eyelets in the frames are 1/8" diameter.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:20:13 pm »
Some people use a stapler to put a staple on the side of the hole that the wire pulls towards.  Some just don't use anything.  I think I've only met one or two people who actually use the eyelets.  It requires a LOT of work.

The holes for the eyelets in the frames are 1/8" diameter.

Well you just met another who uses eyelets in frames for the support wire. HEHEHE
And I do know a beekeeper who had about 500 hives who eyelets in frames and yes he retire about three years ago.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:12:28 pm »
Hey, Bob, please change your location. We may be able to help you find a local supplier.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline hiram.ga.bee.man

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 04:30:02 pm »
Do the eyelets, imbed your wires for a while, you really should (a great deal of labor/time/$$$ for eyelets, wire, imbedding tools, etc.).  Try the crimped wire foundation with wedged frames (added labor & weak). Try foundationless frames too (takes too much hive manipulation to get bees to produce straight combs (apologize ahead of time to MB, not trying to cause any trouble here, just did not work for me)). Then try grooved frames with duragilt foundation & you probably will never do it any other way (strongest, least amount of labor; straight combs). You don't know until you try them what works best for you, so keep an open mind about it.
You ever notice that prices are inflating, but wages are deflating?

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:21:41 am »
Another one who uses eyelets.
Later,
Ray

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 07:13:40 pm »
and another one that uses eyelets.
Kevin

Moots

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:13:00 pm »
...and yet another in the eyelet camp.  :-D

Installing the eyelets really don't bother me...On the other hand, installing the wire...now that's another story!  :laugh: