Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I want to Buy another Queen.  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
I want to Buy another Queen.
« on: May 07, 2011, 05:48:06 pm »
I think I need a queen.
I had a hive that swarmed over the last couple of weeks dont know when but a week or so ago I went in the hive and found queen cells already cut and no eggs. Well today I decided to check the hives well the nuc is so so still no eggs but queen has only been there 2 days. Swarm not from my hive is good with queen. My big original hive I was questioning going in because yesterday I walked next to the hive for a second and it sounded louder than any hive I had ever heard before sounded like a swarm. So today they were quit till I opened the hive then loud roar once again. The Bees looked like ant running around on the frames bees swarming off the frames swirling all around I checked the bottom box no eggs what looked to be caped brood but I dont even know if the brood was still alive.
So I think my virgin might have not made it back from her flight. So I want another queen I need one around 20 bucks that's what I have to spend +/-. I would like one from someone that has not banked them till the are the size of the Kelly queen. So who should I order one from or does anyone have one for sale.

Remember I am doing increases so if I do find I have a queen later I will just make a nuc or figure something out. The big hive is down to 7 full frames of bees guess I need to yank the top box off today some time.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: I want to Buy another Queen.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:53:02 pm »
Why not add some eggs to that hive and they can make their own
JMO

Tommyt

"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 08:19:15 pm »
I don't have any eggs that's been the problem the last 2years  if you dont have extra hives to pull from you're limited. Last year I fought queenless hives on the losing battle. So this year I am getting queens at the first sign.

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 09:38:55 pm »
I buy queens from a place called Kona Queens. They will sell you one to 100 with no problem. If you don't have eggs you should get a new queen very soon. That way they can start from scratch.

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 09:54:01 pm »
Id buy one from olivarez or  koehen queens they are both decent queen producers.  Mikas in florida are good as well.  Try to stay away from the haiwian queens no offense to the other gent but their bees arent acquainted to the varroa mites like they are around here. 

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 09:53:57 am »
Id buy one from olivarez or  koehen queens they are both decent queen producers.  Mikas in florida are good as well.  Try to stay away from the haiwian queens no offense to the other gent but their bees arent acquainted to the varroa mites like they are around here. 

Oh I would say they are pretty much on a first name basis right now  :-D

http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/pi/ppc/varroa-bee-mite-folder/frequently-asked-questions-about-varroa-mites

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 12:43:11 pm »
I think I need a queen.  I had a hive that swarmed over the last couple of weeks, don't know when ...
Without knowing when the colony swarmed, it's hard to know when to expect the replacement queen to begin laying. Assuming it swarmed just before the virgin emerged, it's usually around 2 weeks before she matures, mates, and begins laying. A few rainy days and it may be 3 weeks.

no eggs, what looked to be capped brood but I dont even know if the brood was still alive.
Why would you suspect that the capped brood wasn't alive? If the colony swarmed within the last two weeks, I wouldn't expect open brood, but would certainly expect capped brood. If the brood was dead, the bees would be cleaning out the cells.

So I think my virgin might have not made it back from her flight.
Too early to tell.

Remember I am doing increases so if I do find I have a queen later I will just make a nuc or figure something out.
You need to figure something out BEFORE you install a replacement queen or you may be wasting 20 bucks. If the colony has a newly-mated queen who hasn't started to lay yet, they will likely kill your replacement queen.

anything