Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New and confused  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Nardi

• New Bee
New and confused
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:06 am »
Hi Folks, I'm in central NH. This is my 4th year of trying to keep bees, with limited success.
   I posted once last year. I had one hive abscond, and another with a laying worker. (I tried to requeen, but ended up shaking out the hive.) I currently have one hive that made it thru the winter, but is struggling (The colony split, with the larger cluster starving & leaving a cluster the size of a grapefruit).
   I'm setting up 3 new hives, and have been reading & watching videos. Here's my issue & confusion - Some say to close the entrance when hiving a package & some say nothing, but seem to leave it open.
Some say place the queen cage with candy end facing down & some say facing up. I know Beeks have different opinions and in the end it may or may not make much difference, but after losing several hives I need all the help I can get.
   I joined the local Bee Club, and I'm still confused.
Thanks for any help, and thanks JP (and many others)for giving me courage to work without gloves & jacket.
   Best, Nardi

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: New and confused
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 01:03:57 pm »
Nardi,
Congratulation on getting that hive through the winter.
As far as the entrance is concerned, the larger the entrance is open, the more problem the bees will have protecting the hive from other bees robbing, hornets/yellow jackets, small hive beetles and moths. All of my hives are reduced in size.
Has your flow started up there, I would think so. If so you do not want to be feeding the bees any way. During the winter, face it down so that they can reach it as the cluster move up to the top of the hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:41:13 pm »
Dont close up your entrance instead just hive your packages at dusk.  As for queen cages If you have 3 hole cages with attendants dont put the the candy down.  If attendants die the could plug the candy hole.  I get my queens with either California mini cages or the JZ BZ plastic cages which I preferr and always place them with screen down (plastic has screen all around) and the candy horizontally

Offline Nardi

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:05:54 pm »
OK, I think I've got it now.
The candy end faces up, and the bees go into the hive at dusk with the entrance reduced.
  Thanks for the help.
Nardi

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:20:51 pm »
Not up but sideways and screen down.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:22:44 pm »
Nardi, Be sure to only install the bees into one deep box or perhaps two mediums. I would not give them more space than needed as packages will decrease in size as older bees die off until the new brood emerging exceeds natural die off. If your using drawn comb, I would feed syrup at least until they start to get established.Just be sure they don't fill all the comb with syrup,leaving nowhere for the queen to lay.
What is your method on feeding bees?
And the entrance reducer can be closed to the smaller hole until bees start jambing up at the entrance with too much traffic. Then open to the larger slot,and eventually remove when it becomes a barrier to the foragers.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »
Confining bees often gets them killed in hot weather...  I never do.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Paul Pelly

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:00:53 am »
Hi Nardi. Each thing I learn gives me confidence to continue. Don't like getting burned so veil and jacket helps with my working my bees. One thing less to worry about. Holding a frame last week, bare hands and felt her walk on to my finger and bam! Scratched out the stinger, laughed and DIDN'T drop the frame. Loving my bees. Worth a little pain. I also started with a few fails, this is my 3rd season now and it's getting much easier as I learn. You will too. Good luck. Paul

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 02:18:28 pm »
Nardi, read Mike's post/website. Most of us have done what he has said or very close to it. I use to spray mine with plan water (at ambient temperature), this will slow their flying, but do not sock the bees, a light spray will do the trick. I am not allergic to bees so I have never had to wear gloves but you should wear the protection that make you comfortable. When I do get stung I remove the stinger as soon as possible and rub the sting site with grass to change the smell so that I do not become a target.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:05:48 pm »
we first used a queen excluder over the entrance for a week. she should be laying by then
once she lays it is usually a lock
especially if we had bought bees, would do anything to keep them.

then there are those one wonders how to get rid of them!

anything