Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looked at "'em today...  (Read 1920 times)

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
Looked at "'em today...
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:37:15 pm »
They sure were busy after I popped the top off to look for Queeny. The weather was kinda cloudy about 66F and not alot of wind. I now know why you need a smoker after I took the top off the were all over me and my wife(she will not even go NEAR the hives w/out her Epipen). We found the queen for one of them but the other we didn't see her(we looked for a while) she may have been there but we didn't see her. Both hives were VERY busy. I will go 1 week from now(with smoke this time) to look for queen. If I do not see her should I re-queen or just be patient?

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Looked at "'em today...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 09:40:22 pm »
if you find eggs and young larvae, you don't need to find the queen.  the only time i look for mine is if i want to swipe a frame from a hive and don't want to transfer her.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 11:06:35 pm »
This is the wife.  ;) The reason I won't go near them without my Epipen is because I am ALLERGIC to them!! Now that that is cleared up!!

Should there be eggs and larvae at this one week point in time? We saw pollen and what looked like honey, but was probably from the sugar water, and that's it. Lots of comb too. No eggs though. When should we expect to see some? Thanks for your answers. :-)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:15:17 pm »
1... You are allergic to the point of carrying an epi.
2. He's working them without smoke with you in the yard.

LADY, place your 10 inch cast iron frying upon his head UN-gently, and hand him the smoker.

If a new install, give them 14 days to start laying.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline zzen01

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:26:41 am »
LOL!! That made me laugh!! I just had to explain WHY I won't go out there without my epipen...or fully covered with the bee suit....head to toe!!! LOL!! ;-) I knew it was a risk when we got into this, but he has wanted to do this for most of his life, so now that we're in a place where we can, I'm glad he's getting the chance!! :-) I just have to be really careful!! I'm not sure HOW BAD of an allergy I have. I've only been stung once and that was quite a few years ago. I stepped on a bee and got stung on the foot. My leg doubled in size up past me knee. The doctor that I saw then said that if ever I were stung on the upper body and I had a reaction like that, then I may be in trouble. Not willing to take the chance, so I carry the epi. :-) Just in case!! No stings yet from our own bees!!! :-) The neighbors say we look like space aliens in our suits!!! LOL!!! :-)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 12:33:58 am »
I feel better now, knowing the extent of your sensitivity.

Years ago???  If you were under 16, the chances of ever having a reaction are very slim. Also, the dangerous allergic reaction is when you don't swell and the symptoms are away from the sting area. A quick allergy test in the doctor's office would tell you just what degree your sensitivity is now.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*