15 (6.4%)
51-100
8 (3.4%)
101-200
3 (1.3%)
201-500
4 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: hive #'s  (Read 31782 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: hive #'s
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2008, 06:52:50 pm »
Yes, that is my wonderful hubby Woodchopper (a.k.a. Greg) behind the hood.

JP, those woods aren't mine, they're owned by an elderly couple two doors down.  I fear for them, when these two people go I hope their son keeps the house and land intact!  Around here they'd knock down that house to gain access to the back acreage and put in nine or ten houses (if they can get the land to perc).

Right now those woods are studded with rhododendrons and gorgeous flowering trees like magnolias, different types of dogwoods, redbuds, with mulched paths that wind through them.   Beneath the trees are all manner of woodland wildflowers, hostas, daylilies, etc.  It's over eight acres.  As I said above, I hope it can stay safe from development!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2008, 09:50:18 pm »
Oh, I sure hope so Ann, its such a travesty when our woods are cut down. Things are never the same after this.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2008, 02:00:35 pm »
I like seeing how we are all doing.  Last fall I made a comment that I want to get around 100 or so.  Well after my little work excursion in Texas and splitting my current colonies I think I am slightly over 100 now.

Much work to be left.  I just queened all the splits I made yesterday.  That was an expensive bill for all the queens.  I have 4 left in the queen bank now and we will see if I don't end up using them before the end of May.  Swarming hasn't really started here in Mid Western Mo yet.  I figure it is still probably about 3 weeks out. 

I am going to check back all my hives one more time before I call it good for the season and set them out for honey.  I will most likely kill a few more under-performing queens in preparation for honey production this year.

Maybe in a few more years I can walk away from my desk job and never look back. 8-)
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2008, 06:20:37 pm »
   I started beekeeping in 1957 the year I turned 9 had 2 hives and a 100 hives 1985 and how 20 hives in 2008  :)

Bee Happy Jim 134
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 06:20:07 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2008, 05:59:43 pm »
I started with 3 hives 5 years ago.  One had a laying queen, one had a virgin queen, and one had a queen cell.  Each had about 5 frames drawn in a 10 frame medium.  I now have around 50 hives and growing.  I bought my first bees this year when I bought 5 Minn Hygenics for the genetics.  Until then, everything came from my (free) starter hives and a few swarms and cutouts. 
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2008, 09:46:51 pm »
   I started beekeeping in 1957 the year I turned 9 had 2 hives and a 100 hives 1985 and how 20 hives in 2008  :)

Bee Happy Jim 134

We're almost twins, I started in 1959 at the age of 10, I had a mentor who tried to teach me over 60 years of beekeeping experience in 6 years.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2008, 06:31:30 pm »

Bee Happy Jim 134

We're almost twins, I started in 1959 at the age of 10, I had a mentor who tried to teach me over 60 years of beekeeping experience in 6 years.

I had 2 mentors 1 40 years 1 50 years in beekeeping tried to teach me there experiences in 10 years to me.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2008, 12:43:41 am »
This is my fourth year, and I have ten hives, not counting nucs. 

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:40 pm »
Second year beekeeper with 4 colomies.  Would like 25.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2008, 08:48:53 am »
I started with two this year, then got two more late, and made a split, so up to five and heading for more, depends on wintering results but want to add another 16 in the spring. Plus a split or two more this year ,, depending on flow and weather.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2008, 02:00:05 am »
Holy cow!  16 hives as of today.  It was only April that I had a total of four hives.  And another swarm call this evening.  If they are still there waiting in the morning, it will be 17.

Now, admittedly, a lot of these hives are small and weak and I may be down to half this number when I finish preparing for winter, but if anyone had suggested I would have this many bees this quickly, I would have laughed at them.

What a fun year it's been!

Offline Docking

• New Bee
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2008, 02:39:22 pm »
This is my first year. I have 2 hives that I started from cutouts.
Michael
2 Hives
Russellville, Alabama

Offline Misko

• New Bee
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2008, 03:31:37 pm »
This is my second year of beekeeping. I have 12 hives. My plans are to expand my beeyard to 60hives next year 42 for the truck and the rest for the beeyard  :-D i know it sounds like a yoke  :-D
I have to upgrade all my equipment until the next beekeeping season,  make hives, buy a truck and etc.
But I will be happy if I will fulfill half of my wishes.
Sory for my bad english.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2008, 10:47:07 am »
Misko, do not worry about your English speaking, you are doing just fine.  Remember I told you this before, never worry about something like that, I see that it worries you by your sign off, don't worry.  The fact that you are a forum member and keep visiting with us is a good thing, your English is just fine!!!  Have that most wonderful and beautiful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Melilem

• House Bee
    • New England Bee Photos
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2008, 02:12:19 am »
This is our 3rd year, but only my 1st year as an active participant. Although Jon does talk bee in his sleep. We have 70 hives this fall! We plan to double that next year, or more... although I am concerned about building too fast. I don't want to find myself overwhelmed with bee work.

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2008, 04:43:29 pm »
We have nearly 1000 hives and started in 1978.  Dad has been steady at it and I recently went to work for him again.  We are now increasing our bees so we can maintain a 2000 to 1500 hive count.
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2008, 07:08:20 pm »
We have nearly 1000 hives and started in 1978.  Dad has been steady at it and I recently went to work for him again.  We are now increasing our bees so we can maintain a 2000 to 1500 hive count.

Yikes!!!!

Greywulff

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2008, 09:39:00 am »

Yikes!!!!

Thats what I thought.....
 :-D :-D :-D

Offline mathispollenators

• House Bee
    • Mathis Apiaries
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2008, 11:45:21 am »
 :-D Not really yikes just a bit more of them to deal with at one time.  :-D
Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?

Offline mudlake

• House Bee
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2008, 05:45:50 pm »
I agree Yikes  Tony