Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey bees Removed From Office Building-June 8, 2010-Youtube  (Read 7904 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
This was not an easy removal. These bees were on the underside of a porch. Some idiot removed tile and concrete in order to run a downspout directly against the porch, without bothering to seal any gaps whatsoever. The bee's entrance was one of these gaps directly above the porch.

Sometime in the past there was another colony here that had been sprayed, so I can only assume this colony inhabited the dead out a few years back.

Water has been seeping into this area for quite sometime. There were water stains, the plywood attached to the underside of the porch had rotted out and one joist in particular was toast.

The bees had been living in a very harsh environment. It was time for them to find a better place to live.

...JP

Youtube: Honey Bee Removal In Office Building
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
Re: Honey bees Removed From Office Building-June 8, 2010-Youtube
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:50:46 am »
Dang, I wanna be like JP when I grow up.  :-P

Check out those roaches!!!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:17:24 am by montauk170 »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:15:50 am »
Roaches and bee hives go hand in hand. First time I've ever seen a roach eating a bee. I did kill it, in case anyone is wondering.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 04:17:34 am »
How long did it take you to complete this job?

Offline jhs494

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 07:32:42 am »
Nice job JP. The whole job being overhead, very hard on the neck and shoulders. It looks like a nice size area, with a lot of bees. The comb looks pretty uniform in size.

I noticed that it appears that you put rubber bands on ahead of time. Any number of rubber bands you start with?

Thanks for again sharing these videos with all of us!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 01:19:17 pm by jhs494 »
Joe S.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 08:59:42 am »
Sounds like that office was next to the airport!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 04:58:14 pm »
This job took six and a half hours to complete. I still have to go back and remove the set up. I left it there to get the remaining bees.

I put a few rubber bands on each end of the frames.

This job taxed my neck and it became very stiff, needed 800 mgs of ibuprofen as my neck was so stiff I had headaches.

I got one sting on the tip of my nose.

...JP

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 05:48:02 pm »
i would have liked to see your new pet eat that roach and all his friends.
my girls need a pet like that.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 05:49:41 pm »
What a beautiful set up for a cutout. A remover's dream. Wish I could have been there to help on that one.

WHERE'S THE UMBRELLA?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 06:12:39 pm »
JP - how many combs did you frame?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 09:04:14 pm »
Good job finding that queen.   And I was glad to the smoke on film.  I would never have believed that roach would have eat a bee.  No way no how, until you see it on the video.  Sorry to hear about the neck and your nose.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 09:18:42 pm »
What a beautiful set up for a cutout. a remover's dream. Wish I could have been there to help on that one.

WHERE'S THE UMBRELLA?

This was no remover's dream Iddee, I assure you. What made it a pain was the rotten wood I had to break away in pieces to access pockets of bees and comb.

Because of the rot it was difficult to detach comb sections as some were attached to the underside of the plywood and some of these same sections were encased with tar and rotten wood and even the concrete underside of the porch.

The overhead stuff wasn't a problem, but the combs over the outer beam were difficult to access and this is where the majority of the rotten wood was. It was difficult to avoid honey drippage in these areas.

I went back this evening and added a medium atop the deep and checked on the queen. She is fine.

The bees are still robbing some of the spilled honey (a plus!) so I will remove the hive tomorrow night.

...JP

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 09:34:59 pm »
Sure it is, JP.

1...It makes you feel like you are really worth something.

2...It runs off the competition when they get one like that.

3...It makes the customer feel like they got there money's worth..and then some."They did"

4...It makes you appreciate the easy ones.

:-*   :-*   :-*   :-D   :-D   :-D   :evil:   :evil:   :evil:

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline pondman

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 09:41:16 pm »
JP 

Thanks for shareing with us I really enjoy watching when you do cutouts. I have learned alot from what you do that I will try on my next cutout. Thanks again an keep the videos coming.

Pondman

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 09:48:15 pm »
ewww, that was a good one :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 11:23:19 pm »
I just love watching these cutouts. I also feel I learn so so much from watching you JP remove these combs so calmly.

I hope I never have to do a cutout like that, but good to know it is possible to do and save all the bees.  I still can't get over how you always find the queen in all those bees.

Offline wildbeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 11:41:23 pm »
JP,
I was wondering, when you put the brood comb in the frames, how long do you leave it in the hive before you rotate it out?  Do you wait till the brrod hatches then replace taht frame with fresh foundation or do you let them use it for a year or so?  Nice job on the cut out!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 12:04:58 am »
JP,
I was wondering, when you put the brood comb in the frames, how long do you leave it in the hive before you rotate it out?  Do you wait till the brood hatches then replace that frame with fresh foundation or do you let them use it for a year or so?  Nice job on the cut out!

I let them have it, albeit at times its difficult to work. Surviving a colony and its genetics is paramount when performing a removal. If a queen is not found I want them to have the resources to make a queen from their own stock.

Removals can be quite stressful on bees and you will lose some. By adding their own brood sections they get re-enforcements from hatching bees, it helps curtail absconding and as stated they have the ability to make a queen, provided eggs/young larvae is present.

...JP

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 12:21:31 am »
I know a few real (building) construction guys who would be flabbergasted to see that rain gutter installed that way,self included but I did electrical. Looks like the lowest (probably unlicensed) bidder got you a bee job.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 12:31:28 am »
I know a few real (building) construction guys who would be flabbergasted to see that rain gutter installed that way,self included but I did electrical. Looks like the lowest (probably unlicensed) bidder got you a bee job.

I'm just glad I don't have to do the repairs. What a nightmare that would be. This was one of those situations where you just have to say $^* (can I say that here?) were they thinking.

...JP

anything