Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question about bee vac  (Read 8225 times)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Question about bee vac
« on: May 21, 2007, 07:49:08 am »
I'm sure this is probably a silly question but I'm going to need one and don't have time to order and wait for delivery....

Whats the difference between a bee vac and a small shop vac? Is there a way to convert a small shop vac to a bee vac?

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
Re: Question about bee vac
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 07:55:38 am »
small shop vac-you mean those battery driven small vacs?
if it's so, i think it would be easy to convert it, basicly, what you need to do is to create a pre-chamber
i think there are plans somewhere on the internet, try the beesource.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 08:58:29 am »
Jay,

I build one based off the plans at Beesource
http://www.beesource.com/plans/beevac/index.htm

and modified it to use the motor off my Dirt Devil shop vac (the motor snaps off and can be used as a leaf blower).

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them.

It works really well, I wouldn't do removals without it.

I have plans in my head for an inline version made out on sona tube that would be more compact and used with any vacuum,  but haven't got around to building it yet.  Got some of the parts cut out but have had other priorities.

If your in a rush,  here is a neat concept that looks like it could be whipped together rather quickly.
http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/BEE%20VAC/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:17:54 am »
You can make a bee vac with a shop vac.
You take two five gallon buckets.
Bucket #1 drill a hole in the bottom and place a male pvc connector in the hole. The hose from the shop vac must fit into the pvc connector. I believe the size is 2". You will have to seal it with some duct tape.

Bucket #2 should fit inside bucket #1 (just like you were stacking them for a store display). Drill lots of 1/4" holes in the bottom and the sides on the lower half.

Take a lid for bucket #2 and drill a hole in the top. Place a male PVC connector in the center of the lid. Place a vac hose in the connector. Duct tape that connection. Place the lid on the second bucket. Duct tape that. Then place duct tape along the seam where bucket 1 & 2 meet. Use a the hose to suck bees into bucket. When done remove the hose from the lid and seal it preferably with a PVC plug that fits inside the connector.

Remove the tape from the seam that joins the two buckets. Take bucket with bees. Transport as needed. When ready remove duct tape from lid. Remove lid. Place bees in hive.

Warning bee vacs while handy are also mass bee killers. Use them with care.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:01:55 pm »
Jay,

Here are a few pictures as promised.   I've never had a problem with killing bees with it, even with the 5hp motor that claims 185 MPH.  I think it is because the volume is much bigger than the nuc size bee vacs so the velocity is drastically reduced.   I made plexiglass windows in the side so that I can look inside without opening.  I just made a small box to adapt to vacuum to it.   I made 2 inner boxes in case of a really big swarm or multiple swarms.   Once done, I pull out the inner box and spray the screen with water.  The bees get plenty of ventilation and keep cool.

I almost forgot about the water bottle bee vac option :-P
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline dirtdevil_man

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 02:59:04 pm »
thank for detail

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 05:12:51 pm »
Robo where do you get that Dirt Devil 5hp less bulkier shop vac motor?

Been trying to find at local shops but can't seem to locate. Craftsman's & most shop vacs have bulkier housings for the motors w/ all that plastic. Looked on EBay but no show. I gotta cobble together a bee vac soon as w/cut outs is a great time saver it seems.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 06:39:22 pm »

If your in a rush,  here is a neat concept that looks like it could be whipped together rather quickly.
That's pretty slick Robo, have you tried it out yet ?
In the picture of the top box, is that a clear plastic cover ?

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:47:34 am »

I've had it for 10-15 years.  As far as I can tell, they are no longer available.  I know a few folks besides myself have been unsuccessful searching for them. Not sure if anyone still makes them,  but any model with a removal leaf blower should be adaptable.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 08:54:44 am »

That's pretty slick Robo, have you tried it out yet ?
In the picture of the top box, is that a clear plastic cover ?

That is Iddee's bee vac and from what I know, it works very well.   In fact it was part of the inspiration for my bee vac (before I even new Iddee).   I just went a step further with my bee vac and suck them in from the bottom.  I'm not a fan of dumping after collecting, as it also dumps all the debris and dead bees on the top of the hive.  By sucking in from the bottom, all the debris remains in the bottom of the vac.  There is probably between 75-100 folks that I know of using my design and the feedback has all been positive.  I know a few guys that swear by it and have over 500 removals with it.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 02:02:54 pm »

[/quote]

That is Iddee's bee vac and from what I know, it works very well.   In fact it was part of the inspiration for my bee vac (before I even new Iddee).   I just went a step further with my bee vac and suck them in from the bottom.  I'm not a fan of dumping after collecting, as it also dumps all the debris and dead bees on the top of the hive.  By sucking in from the bottom, all the debris remains in the bottom of the vac.  There is probably between 75-100 folks that I know of using my design and the feedback has all been positive.  I know a few guys that swear by it and have over 500 removals with it.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/bee-vac/
[/quote]

I would be one of the 75 - 100 folks. We have hived hundreds of swarms and dozens of cutouts with Robo's bee vac design. We power them with an inverter or small generator. If adjusted properly, very few bees get killed.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline irerob

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 10:13:42 pm »
   My Bee vac is similar to the one in Asprince's link except it goes straight into a medium super and powered by a small external shop vac. I generally use one super to vac the bees and a second to mount any brood comb or honey spray the bees with syrup from the top mount the 2 supers together then in a week or so switch out  the top and bottom of the vac for inner covers and bottom boards. I've used this on 3 or 4 cut outs with minimall losses the only issue Ive had is it seems to be hard on the queen.
You don't need a parachute to sky dive.... you do how ever need one to sky dive twice.
 KJ4QMH.

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 11:12:55 pm »

I've had it for 10-15 years.  As far as I can tell, they are no longer available.  I know a few folks besides myself have been unsuccessful searching for them. Not sure if anyone still makes them,  but any model with a removal leaf blower should be adaptable.

Yes just got reply from dirtdevil.com - ttifloorcare.com , & they said don't manufacture or have stock. Seen online ShopVac has removable blower but what is everyone else using for their shop vac/blower motor on their compact Robo designed bee vac?

Cheers, David S
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24