Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Possible foul brood, with pictures  (Read 4105 times)

Offline meroopt

• New Bee
Possible foul brood, with pictures
« on: November 05, 2008, 01:38:35 am »
Dear Fellow Bee’ers,

I joined this fantastic forum a few months back and have been thrilled with the help I have received whenever I post a question.  Just a brief history.  I inherited some hives from my next door neighbour about 6 months ago and nursed them through our winter as they were in a bad way.  Some of the hives we had to destroy as they had foul brood and I have lived in fear that mine may have been similarly infected. 

With the arrival of Spring the hives seemed to bounce back and I left them alone to recover from their near death experience.  With spring now in full bloom I took apart the hives and although they looked incredibly healthy with lots of bees and lots of brood, I think I have identified foul brood all through the brood.  More than three quarters of the cells I poked a stick into came out all brown and goopy and I have taken some photos of the cell contents to post of this site for comments.

I suspect that it is foul brood and I shall have to destroy the hives but I would welcome any suggestions as to other things it could be and any information on what to do.  If it is foulbrood I would like to address it sooner than later as I don’t want to jeopardise any one else’s colonies.

I look forward to the usual brilliant replies, even if they are condemning!

Cheers,

Meroopt

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:21:36 am by buzzbee »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Possible foul brood, with pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:33:20 am »
It does look like it ropes so most likely it's AFB.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespests.htm#afb
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:06:47 am »
I agree with MB.

From the look at the pattern, it looks well infected. If one found a few cells, I think culling the frame, and perhaps a 2 cycle treatment would be a possibility. But as it looks, I think I would shake the bees, burn the comb, and scorch the boxes.

You could do your own "holts milk test" to confirm AFB. But you probably already know down deep that this is AFB, from what you said about the neighbors hives.

Good Luck.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 11:20:34 am »
Meroopt.  That gives a sickening feeling when one looks at those pictures, I think for sure you have AFB.  The brown sunken cappings are another telltale sign.  Do as you have been advised, there is no other choice, disheartening for surely, but you gotta stop the spread of this nasty.  Keep that chin up.  Do have still a most wonderful day and life, great health wishes for us all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:16:41 pm »
Darn, That sure looks like AFB  :(  AFB infected brood gives off a pungent odor, I wish I could describe it to you, but I cannot. It looks like you need to take appropriate action.  :-\

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 08:47:48 pm »
If it is AFB then just throw it here->