Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yayyy my Ob hive has made it  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Adam james

• New Bee
Yayyy my Ob hive has made it
« on: March 10, 2010, 05:56:58 pm »
Hello Everyone just to let you know i think my ob hive has made it through its first winter. They have been bringing in pollen for two weeks and more cells are being capped as more eggs are being laid. I'm not sure if this is my queens second or first year as she was added in august 2009 as they failed there supersede attempt. 

Wot would you say , does this class as my queens first year ?

I have one drone as well , i began to worry she was gonna start being a drone layer as some of the cells looked quite domed but workers have emerged from the cells.

Adam

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
Re: Yayyy my Ob hive has made it
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:32:01 pm »
Our winters where I am are a little warmer than the UK (not a whole lot),  but it's good to hear all the beekeepers in colder places having success.
I'd love to see pics of the OB hive if you have them (OB hive is something I'd like to do but haven't gotten around to.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Adam james

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:38:39 am »
Hello  Bee happy

Here's a few pictures of my ob hive , wanted a picture of the queen but she was hiding somewhere.

Adam

Offline Jack

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 01:02:00 am »
Congratulations. Your hive looks robust. Mine has wintered over but almost starved once and has lost much of it's population. I think it will make it and remember how fast it can build up when it gets going.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 12:42:11 am »
Adam James, I am unsure if you have formally been welcomed to our forum.  Perhaps, but if not, welcome, so great you found us.  AND..better yet, you have had success with your observation hive, wonderful!!!  Stick around, we love new members, do have that most awesomely great and most beautiful day, and health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:20:28 am »
Good to hear!

Is that a super on top of your OH? Mind explaining how that works?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 01:21:53 pm »
Wow!  They have a lot of bees left too!

Mine is down to half a deep frame of bees and a little honey, pretty normal, but with capped brood, yippee!  As long as no SHB(haven't seen any this winter) show up they'll be golden!
Rick