Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fipronil history with SHB  (Read 2468 times)

Offline jlberry

• New Bee
Fipronil history with SHB
« on: July 10, 2015, 11:30:57 am »
I see fipronil for ants and roaches. I am sure they use different attractants, which one works to attract and kill SHB?

More importantly, is using fipronil effective? I think I understand the risks; no supers, no access for the bees, etc.
I use screened bottom boards here on the Gulf Coast so screened top and bottom boards are almost required for ventilation.
I will have to use something that is attached underneath and at the edge of the SBB, sealed away from the bees. Any success stories on this are much appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Fipronil history with SHB
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 01:52:21 pm »
If Fipronil gets to the bees the entire colony will die... too big of a risk for me.  And you have an insecticide in the hive, even if the bees can't get to it.  It's still going to give off fumes...

The way it has been used on SHB is to put it in the grooves of coroplast pieces that are put in the hive.  I would never do it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jlberry

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 05:13:35 pm »
Thanks for the good advice.

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 02:15:28 am »
double screened bottom board with the trap between them. Trap not in hive bellow screen

anything