Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My two little ladies  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Variable

• House Bee
    • Two Little Ladies Apiary Hive Data
My two little ladies
« on: December 27, 2013, 11:10:15 pm »
The armor arrived today for my two little girls. Got to play dress up and snap some photos.... I can't wait until spring!!!!

The suits seemed well crafted, reinforced in areas of extra wear and have a lot of pockets. The sizes are kids XS and kids S from Jawadis.us. They ended up being a lot bigger than I thought they would be. My oldest (7 yrs 46" thin build) can fit in the XS that I purchased for my youngest (4 yr 41" thin build) and still has room to grow into the XS. I should have gotten a XS and XXS instead.... I guess they get to grow into them for the next 5 years!!!  

All was going well until I went to take the veils off so I could put the suit in the washer and the size S zipper came off the end of the veil....  :?
Upon close inspection the end of the zipper has a small manufacturer defect allowing the zipper pull to fall off the end. I called the number listed and hope to hear back Monday morning as it was after 5:00PM PST when I called and Jawadis appears to be in Florida. The suit is fine, it is the zipper on the veil that is bad and worst case I will only have to replace the veil. I guess I will get to see how good the customer service is after sale. (Before sale was GREAT, by the way) On the bright side: I still do not have any hives or bees and have a few months to finish getting ready so this should be resolved with time to spare.  :-D

EDIT: wife edited grammar and punctuation, although she still isn't happy with all the "and"s  (grammar nazi)
I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
8 medium hives. 5 Langstroth, 3 Nuc
See hive data at
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/6
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
Re: My two little ladies
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 11:26:18 pm »
Well constructed sentences.

Moots

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:55:12 pm »
Great Pic...With that cute of a support crew, you can't go wrong!  :)

How's the rest of the ramping up for your bees progressing?

Offline Variable

• House Bee
    • Two Little Ladies Apiary Hive Data
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:51:17 am »
Lone,
Thank you. She did edit it. I made her put on the disclaimer at the bottom. I posted the pic and she asked what I was doing on the computer. I showed her the post and she started in about missing commas and whatnot...... so she fixed it as best she could. I failed English in high school and it is my first language!!! 
:idunno:

Moots,
Thank you.

My oldest told me that she thinks that I should supervise them and that her and her sister get their own hive. My youngest already said she wanted her own months ago when I had first decided to start keeping bees. I will let them think what they want about ownership and play along as much as I can. Maybe I can start a few nucs and those can be mine.  ;) This has been a great learning experience for all of us and I enjoy their enthusiasm.

Ramping up.... Good but not as well as I was hoping......

I have fully planed and cut enough cedar to build 7.5 inner boxes. I had enough for 8 in that run but a messed up cut on one front and one side board when doing the finger joints destroyed 2 boards. I do not mind blaming myself when I mess up but in this case I was having a lot of problems with a table saw. I was using a Ryobi with a built in sled and the sled has a lot of play... almost an 1/8" total side to side. It is hard to cut 3/8 finger joints when the sled is moving up to a 1/16" off center. This caused one joint to end up 1/8" out from the partner joint. It is nothing like the previous saws I had used!!! They had a groove cut into the top of the table saw and the sled had no play. I am not proud of the first boxes..... They all fit together but it is not quite perfect. This weekend I hope to build a new finger joint jig/sled with built in table/slide to fix that problem for the rest of the boxes. I have enough cedar now to build qty 10, 10 frame double walled medium boxes with 2 bottom boards, 2 cover/roofs and 2 feeder boxes.
I have 5 frames (hahaha) with plastic foundation. I purchased these from the local beekeeping supply store (Bees in the burbs http://beesinthe-burbs.com/) so I could place them in my boxes just to see if I was even close to doing everything correctly... Now I am not even sure if I want to use plastic foundation in a brood box. Plastic maybe in the honey supers... maybe. After watching Don The Fat Bee Man cut out a queen cell and move it to another frame to start a nuc I am thinking I may want to have that kind of option, and I will not if I use plastic. Then there are the thoughts of small cell bees, if I could get them, and natural cell....... my head is starting to hurt again.... hahaha
I have a hive tool and smoker (as you can see in the picture)

The insulation is finally on the way and is due here Friday the 3rd.

Some new clamps are on the way due here Monday the 6th. These might be very fun to use.

http://www.rockler.com/box-joint-cauls-box-joint-jig-cauls-sold-separately

I am doing 3/8" as it happens to line up perfectly if I cut starting at the bottom and work to the top and leave the last 5/8" to line up with the ledge for the frame. That way I do not have to chisel out the end of the rabbet cut. The 3/8 jig above will "touch" every joint and exclude the last 1/4" when clamping.

I should be able to get the wood planed and cut over the next few weekends. At least for the hive bodies. The top and bottom will come last.
I still need frames, my bee suit, a visit with my doctor to see if I am still allergic and probably an EpiPen but most importantly BEES. Still not sure what I am going to do for bees.... I do not think I want to have them shipped from the south into my cool, wet climate. Feral swarms would be nice but that is an adventure in itself. I am going to the first bee club meeting of the year and a training class over the next 2 months and am working to be ready by spring. I am hoping to meet nearby bee people. I figure someone will have what I am looking for....

I know I left out all the other stuff like a spray bottle, medications, treatments, oils, sugar, money....

I plan on posting an image heavy post one day to show how I built these boxes.... someday soon....  :evil:
I want to beelieve.
WA Apiary ID WA14-077
8 medium hives. 5 Langstroth, 3 Nuc
See hive data at
http://twolittleladiesapiary.com/cms/node/6
https://www.facebook.com/twolittleladiesapiary

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 04:15:46 am »
Thank you. She did edit it. I made her put on the disclaimer at the bottom. I posted the pic and she asked what I was doing on the computer. I showed her the post and she started in about missing commas and whatnot...... so she fixed it as best she could. I failed English in high school and it is my first language!!!

I was going to say that "gotten" would not be acceptable in Australia, but it is passable in the USA I guess   ;)

Looks like you won't need to do any work now that you have extra help.  You'll certainly get longer wear from the larger suits.  I'll look forward to seeing the next photos of your progress.

Lone

anything