Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What TYPE of net do you use?  (Read 3878 times)

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
What TYPE of net do you use?
« on: May 10, 2005, 10:53:45 am »
We recently had a poll of how many use how much protection while working their bees.  (I use full gear every time.  I want to enjoy my bees without getting stung!)

After yesterday's experience with my old veil, I decided to get a new one.  One of my girls found a crack and invited all her friends in for a party.  I noticed one on my neck and thought I could live with that.  But when I saw five more crawling on the inside of the net I decided it was time to exit, stage left! (Five points to you old-timers who can name which cartoon that comes from!) I moved quickly (well, as quickly as an old man can move) towards the house and my wife came running out wanting to know what to do.  

I wound up with 6 or 7 stings on my head.  They are not bad but I look like a boxer with a deformed ear from the one that got me there.  I told my wife I needed a new veil and she said she thinks I don't need to stop there.  She thinks I need a whole new HEAD!  Needless to say, she is happy that I am happy but is not too excited about what makes me happy.

Anyway......I am resigned to ordering a new veil.  My question is:

What type of veil do you use and how do you like it.  If you can, please give me a style and brand and how you would rate it 1 to 10 with 10 being "love it!" and 1 being "might as well not have anything on".  I would also appreciate it if you could give me any disadvantages you have experienced with your veil.

I know there are those of you who will scoff at wearing a veil all the time.  I salute you.  Just give me my security blanket.

Thanks.

Fuzzybeekeeper

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:14:40 am »
I got stung last year on my cheek 'cause a bee flew up under my veil (my one and only sting last year).  SO, first thing I bought  this year was a new veil set-up.  It's the one pictured on (I beleive) the equipement message board here.  It's a jacket/veil combo - you still need a separate hat.  I love it!  I've only worn it a couple of times now, but it's comfortable, and there's no way I'll have anymore bees in my face.  Let me see if I can find the guys website.  I sent a check and had the suit in about 10 days.

sherry

Offline SherryL

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 11:17:50 am »

Offline Jay

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 11:22:38 am »
This is what I wear. I love it. You don't need a separate hat, the veil telescopes out and if you want to take the veil off and leave the jacket on, the veil zips (or unzips) around the neck and the telescoping veil comes off like a hood and falls flat against your back. To put it back on again, just pull it back up like a hood and zip it up and you're ready to go! The only problem you can have, is not remembering to zip it up once it's on, then you get bees in your bonnet! :lol:

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Chad S

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 11:52:49 am »
Snagle Puss.

Jay Were you in Carlsise for spagetti the other night?  Come over and say hi next time we meet.  Did you go to the event last Saturday?

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 02:13:55 pm »
where is Brenham, Texas?

This is what I use and I like it alot http://www.mannlakeltd.com/catalog/page59.htm

Mann Lake’s comfortable lightweight Deluxe Bee Suit is constructed of 50% cotton / 50% polyester blend for extra strength and durability. Available with or without an attached square folding zipper veil.
But of course I look good in anything LOLL

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 02:25:19 pm »
crw;

The folding veil is what I am using now (the one that self-destructed!  Actually, it is from my former beekeeping days of 20 years ago so I guess I shouldn't belly-ache too much)  My only complaint is that the top does slip down over the brim of the hat (like it shows in the photo on the link you posted) and it gets very difficult to look out.  It is great for looking down, which I guess you do most of the time, but when you try to walk to another hive or look around, the top of the screen is right in my eyesite.

Thanks to the rest of you who already put your 2 cents worth in.  I have looked at what you sent and like what I saw.  

Anyone else?  Please.

Brenham is between Houston and Austin.  I'm about 45 minutes north west of Houston.  Beautiful country.  Home of Bluebell Ice Cream and Maifest.  Where are you?

Fuzzybeekeeper

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2005, 02:32:51 pm »
OK I know where you are been that way lots of times yea it is nice around there it always amazes me how you can just drive anywhere in Texas and see something different. I am 30 mins east from Palo duro canyon.
The veil I have and hat fits perfect no problems hope you find one that works for you

Offline fuzzybeekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2005, 02:43:52 pm »
crw;

Oh, up almost to Canada!!!  We have stayed in Polo Duro Canyon with our Boy Scouts on the way to Colorado several times.  Most non-Texans don't realize that from the Houston area Polo Duro Canyon (somewhere still in Texas) is almost 2/3 of the way to Colorado.  That's why I'm looking for someone more in my area to compare notes with.

Fuzzybeekeeper

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2005, 02:51:12 pm »
LOLL oh goody he tells jokes also that may be (what you houstonittes believe & we'll let you keep believing that) but the non-Texans dont know is that houston and Austins area is where people go cause they couldnt handle the country life plus like Oklahomans are afraid to cross the Red River with a fear of drowning (not knowing you can walk across )

Offline JoshK

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2005, 03:17:46 pm »
My outfit is rather modest.  I've got a simple free veil that I use with a typical helmet; I wear an old white work shirt buttoned all the way up, and I just tuck and cinch the veil up under the collar.  I've never had any problems with this setup.  I suppose it's not ultra-bee-proof, though, so I can't say I'd recommend it if you're one who tends to swell up after a sting.

anything