Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: larvae in burr comb...sigh  (Read 10744 times)

Offline rgy

• House Bee
Re: larvae in burr comb...sigh
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 03:15:52 pm »
sounds like what B.O. wants for us!

Offline wstanell

• Brood
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 10:01:42 pm »
Can you salvage the larva in burr comb by putting it in between bodies with wedge or will they just continue to burr up the area again and not assimilate the larva and wax comb into available bee frames wich I added at the time??

Offline Fergmeister

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 07:04:56 pm »
You Beeheads are awesome.  I don't use that word as freely as many.  I am brand new in this and do have a science/environmental background.  This burr comb stuff has been driving me nuts.  I captured a swarm a couple of weeks ago and have someone with experience mentoring me a little.  We started out with a 5 frame nuc then moved into a 10 frame deep.  There were two frames of comb and everything was looking good until the girls decided they didn't like the plastic sprayed down w/sugar water.  Both burr comb and wild two sided comb were developing everywhere.  As you know that isn't the best for inspection or maintenance.  Plus I'm finding larve in the renegade comb.  I've been removing it and letting the hive lap it up.  Also everyone around here was saying feed the swarm to help build comb.  I saw the term burr comb and viola I don't feel so stupid any more YAY.  THANKS!!!!!  Got some wax sheets on the plastic frames (figured that one out myself and thanks to danno he confirmed I was on the right track.  Glad you let me join. 
Chuck, Brewmaster and now bee keeper

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:54 pm »
Fergmeister,

Yeah, these guys on the forum are awesome.

Don't feel bad on the plastic. I have one (of two) strains of bees that ABSOLUTELY will not draw out plastic!! Period. Will do anything and everything to avoid it.

That said.....from a bees stand point, burr comb is NOT their problem!!! :-D

It is OURS!! :shock:

Offline Fergmeister

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 11:18:48 am »
Yes Carol I agree.  As goes with modern times Google and youtube are the quick go to's.  Everybody has such pretty frames of comb but, mine had all these tumors which seemed as a failure to do things right.  All better now.
Chuck