Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Packages are in!  (Read 1032 times)

Offline gdog

• House Bee
New Packages are in!
« on: May 14, 2013, 01:47:36 pm »
I picked up 7, 3 # packages this morning bright and early from Dadant's in Watertown WI. Got them home and placed them into their new hives with empty comb and comb with honey from last years bees that did not make it, (bad winter). Today is the perfect day for setting them up was about 65 F, they were slightly testy but I have seen worse.

I tried out the latex gloves to see how they would work rather than the heavy leather ones, they worked good, may need to double them up as soon as you get hooked on something they tear but I will use them again. No stings through the gloves only one on my wrist above the glove. I think I'm becoming immune to them no swelling.

How long will it be before the queen begins to start laying? and when should I take another look to see if there are eggs? The queen has been in the package with the bees since Saturday, May 11, 2013.

Thanks

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: New Packages are in!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 03:55:22 pm »
I got these gloves from Amazon.
 They're a bit tougher than latex and I can pull them up enough to cover the end of my sleeve.

As far as when to check for eggs, 3 days after she's released should be plenty of time.

anything