Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Getting it in the ground  (Read 13301 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Getting it in the ground
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 11:23:00 pm »
Don't think I mentioned, breaking belts.
If you till standing stalks, you will have a bigger problem.
I would pull the stalks up and through to the compost pile,"you do have one, don't you"?
Or, run the mower over them. They cause less trouble when they are lying flat.
I have had my pony for about 9 years and haven't replaced a belt yet.
But I did have to add some gas :roll: :shock: :)doak

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 11:48:35 pm »
Ohhh, Bob,...
 troybilt bronco...I have one behind my shed.....with the belts both gone!..That sucker jerked me all over the yard! My Bro in law had one too...he finally gave up on it from yanking his back out!
 I wrote to Lowes,...to Troybilt...to BBB...This was definitley false advertising on how you can till with one hand...I mean, sure you can, if its been tilled many times before they filmed it in action!
IF you still have the receipt, I'd definitely take it back to the store, cuz it wont get any easier. On another note tho....It does start and runs really good....I had the NON counter rotating tines with my bronco..I think I paid about 300 bux for it several years ago....I paid twice that much on the tiller I just got recently, but, fortunately, I had a nice tax refund this year.
Good luck bob!

your friend,
john
I have the counter rotating tines. It does till easy. I was tilling unbroken pasture at the shallowest depth and could do it with one hand. When I changed the belt I found the motor was mounted off center. I loosened the bolts and readjusted and now it looks like it will be OK. Troy Bilt calls for a 4x25.375 belt but I found a 4x25 at the hardware store and it seems to work fine. One problem I find is that you have to help it pull forward against the counter rotating tines. Either not enough weight in the unit or under powered. I would return it but I ordered it from Troy Built and shipping back is a killer.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 04:31:44 pm »
Now I have about 200 tomatoes planted.
Did I say I planted taters yesterday. :)doak

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 06:03:36 pm »
I spent all day prepping soil for this spring. I am doing the lasagna gardening, so I layed down cardboard and then compost, leaves,leaf mold, coffee grounds,etc. on a large part of my yard that I am turning into one big flower garden.
I am not even close to planting here, we don't get our last frost until the beginning of May.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 11:29:11 pm »
Natalie, our last frost date here is end of April, pretty close to you, at the beginning of May, smiling.  Spring comes fast and hard here, suddenly, it's planting time, smiling, I am going to still plant some stuff, even though it may be in vain because of the move.  BUT......it will worth its weight in gold with the fun that I am gonna have, getting my knees, hands and feet all dirty and muddied right up, yeah, oh man, I just can't wait!!!  Love our life, live it so, it loves us too.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 01:39:56 am »
Don't let my postings rush anyone or make you feel bad.
Sometime I get in a rush and do some things a little too early myself.
Just hang in there and do what you would do on a normal basis, don't rush it.
 :)doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 01:43:13 pm »
Doak, oh you know you love to make us drool!!!  We are picturing you outside, warm soil, planting and heeling in your plants.  Wow, tell us what you do with so many tomato plants.  I cannot grow tomatoes here unless it is under cover, and even then sometimes we get that late season killing blight, it is a nasty one.  Where we are moving to, well....shiver me timbers!!!   I know for a darn fact that it is dry, I can grow tomatoes outside, not under a plastic cover.  It is just because here in my climate the nights are so moist and cool that they cause that blight to come.  We get dew here in summertime, the moment that the sun goes down.  By 11:00 at night, even in summer, you would think that it had rained.  There is not a single way on this good green earth that when one sleeps outside that they could sleep without something over the top, like a tent, or a tarp, the dew would soak you to the bones.  Now that is one wet climate here.  Yeah for the growing of the tomatoes!!!  Beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi

My Sister and a weird tomato that she grew last year.

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 09:39:15 pm »
No wonder your tomatoes dont grow well...They turn out OBSCENE!! :shock:
 But,....That kind of tomato is what cameras are made for!!

your friend,
john

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 04:24:55 pm »

your friend,
john

John, your minds always in the gutter. Its an heirloom, called the Jimmy Durante!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 04:28:58 pm »
 :-D

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 10:04:16 pm »
I have sugar snaps and turnips up.
I grow enough tomatoes to can and sell.
This year I want to can maybe 100 quarts.
I had rather can than freeze. I can keep them longer and don't have to worry
about the power going off.
Which happens here too often, summer and winter.
Lightning, wind and ice. Yes Ice, we lost it during our little snow a couple weeks ago.

As for the weird looking tomato, not so uncommon when you have more than a few dozen plants.
Never new it to affect the taste.
doak

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 01:22:10 am »

your friend,
john

John, your minds always in the gutter. Its an heirloom, called the Jimmy Durante!

Yeah, Jimmy Durante.  The hairdo is a dead give away.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 12:34:28 pm »
Bwa, ha, ha, ha, ha, so funnneeeee, C.

anything