Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Movie - Utter Disbelief  (Read 28687 times)

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
Bee Movie - Utter Disbelief
« on: September 06, 2008, 09:51:46 am »
Okay...I just watched Bee Movie last night after several people said "Oh, you're a beekeeper.  Have you watched Bee Movie?" "No" I would say.  "Well, its really great!  You would probably love it." 

They couldn't have been more wrong.  What an outrage this movie is.  It is morally and scientifically backwards.  Beekeepers are not the bad guys as portrayed in the movie.  The beek's in the movie are characterized by the line "they make the honey, we make the money" .  How ridiculous!  I have spent thousands of dollars on my bees; housing them, buying them, FEEDING them.  I have certainly not made a dime on my bees and even if I did, is that wrong! How insane.

Scientifically, the entire movie is a farce.  Males (pollen jocks) are not workers , females are.  Bees don't pick one job for their entire life, they perform several jobs throughout their lifetime.  FLOWERS ARE NOT PRODUCED BY BEES, flowers are fertilized by bees which created FRUITS AND FERTILIZED SEEDS.

I you are a beek, don't watch this movie!  If you do I guarantee you will be climbing the walls like me looking for a place to vent, thank you beemaster.com. 
Sola Scripture - Sola Fide - Sola Gracia - Solus Christus - Soli Deo Gloria

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Bee Movie - Utter Disbelief
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 11:36:41 am »
My wife and I watched the movie and were somewhat entertained, it was make believe and we heard all the stories about how inaccurate it was.

The strangest thing to me is that Seinfeld had the need to make this movie.

We took it with a grain of salt and then some.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Bill W.

• House Bee
    • Bees by the Sea
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 12:01:42 pm »
Huh.  That is really odd, considering Hollywood's excellent track record for producing movies which promote both science and business.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 12:06:34 pm »
Al Gore is hiding in there some where :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:16:32 pm »
Man, it's a cartoon movie.  Why on earth would you expect it to be scientifically accurate?  These movies are meant to entertain, not educate.  When was the last time you saw a purple talking dinosaur or a talking sponge?  Also, Bee Movie made a point in showing that without bees, there would be nothing.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline mtman1849

• Assistant Social Director
  • House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 03:05:25 pm »
Ok i might be going out on a limb here,  and I am not defending the movies inaccuracy, but maybe in some round about way they did bring to the attention of people that might not have otherwise known what the would could be like without honeybees.  I would think they got that just about right.

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 03:28:44 pm »
I am not expecting a cartoon movie to be entirely accurate.  I can tolerate the inner workings of the hive being embellished and talking insects are fine with me too.  I have to drawn the line where the movie portrays the beekeeper as the evil character.  I have never read a post on this website or talked to a beekeeper who has intentionally mistreated their bees and of course I take issue with the whole anti-capitalism slant of the movie. 

Bees are able to make more honey than they need.  We can have some too.  Get over it Mr. Seinfeld!   

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »
bassman1977 you pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly.  Nevertheless, you do make a good point Whipcitybeeman, about them portraying beeks as the bad guys.  But SOMEONE has to be the bad guy in movies... who would you propose the bad guy be?

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 06:54:36 pm »
It is all about the hidden agenda and supported with subliminal messages, Hollywood for short. :evil:

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 07:35:15 pm »
I enjoyed this movie, even though I couldn't believe they were so inaccurate. I just took it for what it was. A cartoon!!

Offline bmacior

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 08:18:48 pm »
The bad guy?
Wasps, definitely wasps!   
Was it on U tube (or whatever it's called) where I watched a clip about 30 wasps decimating a hive of 30,000 bees? 
Wasps, definitely wasps. :-D

Offline Nate

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 08:57:44 pm »
heh.

I thought the movie was quite entertaining.  It did cover the issue of the importance of honey bees.  The fact that beeks are displayed as the bad guys is minimal.  Most animal cartoons do display the keeper as the bad guy...  Like that one chicken coup movie where they try to break free.

Anyways, take care and breathe some fresh air

nate

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 09:43:06 pm »
I have never seen the movie -all i know is that the kids that come to the farmers market are all talking about Jery the bee -they are now asking more questions about the observation hive which in its self must be good and HONEY SALES ARE UP -and thats a good thing  :-D  :lol: RDY-B

Offline WhipCityBeeMan

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 10:26:10 pm »
It is all about the hidden agenda and supported with subliminal messages, Hollywood for short. :evil:

pdmattox is right.  I think he gets my point. I also agree that wasps should be the bad guys. Or varroa mites, tracheal mites, wax moths (boy have I had trouble with those lately), or even mice would make a fine evil character. 

Who likes mice anyway??

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 10:56:28 pm »

pdmattox is right.  I think he gets my point. I also agree that wasps should be the bad guys. Or varroa mites, tracheal mites, wax moths (boy have I had trouble with those lately), or even mice would make a fine evil character. 

Who likes mice anyway??
Disney :-D :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 10:59:43 pm »

Who likes mice anyway??

My pet frog: http://www.toadilytoads.com/pyxie.html

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 11:16:17 pm »
Oh boy JP!!
 He's GREAT!!
 he(or she) looks like something that just might wake you up in the middle of the night and start a conversation with you!
 Sort of like a frog in "Alice in Wonderland"!

your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 11:23:23 pm »
Oh boy JP!!
 He's GREAT!!
 he(or she) looks like something that just might wake you up in the middle of the night and start a conversation with you!
 Sort of like a frog in "Alice in Wonderland"!

your friend,
john

He is great John, I've always had a thing for frogs, even though my Dad thought I would probably marry a bass one day, at least that's what he said in highschool!!!

...JP ;)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 11:45:20 pm »
I like it -It has a resemblance to JAVA DE HUT - 8-) RDY-B

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 12:14:49 am »
My wife and I watched the movie and were somewhat entertained, it was make believe and we heard all the stories about how inaccurate it was.

The strangest thing to me is that Seinfeld had the need to make this movie.

We took it with a grain of salt and then some.

...JP

Ain't that the only way to take Seinfeld?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!