Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best Equipment Supplier  (Read 3253 times)

Offline FlashGordon

• New Bee
Best Equipment Supplier
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »
Now that the season is done in my area, I'm going to order the equipment that I will need for the spring.

Does anybody have any advice on where I should shop?  I would like to hear who is good and who is bad.

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
Re: Best Equipment Supplier
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:39:09 pm »
I'm too new to give any REAL good advise but I've bought several items on Amazon that have come from Mann Lake. Good for me as the shipping (with a Prime account) was free. One other place I check wanted like 77 bucks for 8 1/2" foundation plus 76 bucks shipping. I got the 100 count box of the same stuff for 99 bucks and no shipping. All this might not make any difference as I'm in Hawai'i and can't get good rates via UPS/FEDEX.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:28:37 pm »
Wait until "Black Friday" before you buy anything. Mann-Lake and Brushy Mt. both have great sales on that day and you'll save a boatload.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 09:54:24 pm »
I think Brushy has their free shipping on cyber Monday.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 10:09:50 pm »
First question is where are you located?   Shipping is always a deal breaker.  Get a shipping estimate when comparing your prices.  Most everybody sells the same thing.  I do buy with the free shipping days.   

Offline JPinMO

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 11:41:41 pm »
Ditto what AllenF said; Flash, please become "un-lost" and give us a general idea of your location. You'll get better advice if folks understand what climate you're in.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters
cannot be trusted in large ones either."  Albert Einstein

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 10:05:23 am »
I think Brushy has their free shipping on cyber Monday.
I'm getting feeble minded in my old age. I think you are right but as long as the OP waits to check out the deals at the two suppliers he'll save enough to justify waiting. :-D
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline Oblio13

• House Bee
    • Philosophizing with a Hammer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:24:12 am »
"Best equipment supplier" depends on the equipment you want. Dadant has the best smoker and the Italian hive tool. Kelley has the only foundationless frames I'm aware of. Brushy Mountain has the only 5-frame medium hive bodies I'm aware of.

Just wait for the free shipping deals and order what you want from whomever has it.

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 10:25:59 am »
Walter Kelly has free shipping coming up for the week of Thanksgiving, that's when I buy my frames for the year.
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline FlashGordon

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 10:43:27 am »
I'm in Canada.  Lake Ontario area. 
My local suppliers are pretty expensive.  I'm tempted to make all my own stuff.  I'm not sure if it's worth my time.   Also, there are certain things I cannot make.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 10:48:00 am »
Our local bee club has a few commercial beek, they will make a big order once or twice a year.  They usually tell when at our meeting close to order time.  With their order and ours its free shipping and the quantity of like items there is a lower cost(100 foundation compared to 500 to 1000).  The order is shipped to the commercial beek and we go bay there and pick it up.  There are a lot of ways to save.  It can work with your local club if you all get together.

Joe

Offline FlashGordon

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 07:46:23 am »
Does anyone know if the free shipping includes Canada?

Offline Parksguyy

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 03:45:05 pm »
Hi there,
Free shipping does not apply to Canadians unfortunately ... but you can have stuff shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg and then you pick it up for dirt cheap.  We do have a Propolis store just outside of Carleton Place and another one near Guelph, they will match others prices. There is another store (forgot the name) in Tweed as well. 

Offline FlashGordon

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 04:21:25 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Its unfortunate that there is not a major manufacturer in Canada.  Its nice to hear from a fellow Canadian.

anything