Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dill pickle recipe?  (Read 8082 times)

Offline Paul H

• New Bee
Dill pickle recipe?
« on: July 18, 2008, 12:44:47 am »
Anyone have a good recipe for crock fermented dill pickles?

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: Dill pickle recipe?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 10:50:04 am »
Anyone have a good recipe for crock fermented dill pickles?

Just google. I usually go to cooks.com for recipes and ideas. i pickle, but dont do fermenttaion style, but quick vinegar style. Its easier.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Paul H

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 06:51:13 pm »
Sure, your method may be quicker, but fermenting cukes in my great-grandmothers ceramic crock down in the cellar is a lot of fun.  Pickles are just one of the many things I've been fermenting.

I have been using recipes I've found on line for this and have had excellent results.  Just looking for someone else's recipe to try this year.   Gonna have loads of cukes this year.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:07:50 pm »
There was a Good Eats episode that aired recently where Alton Brown gave a few recipe's for making them.  I'd love to be more help to you, but I didn't really pay close attention since I don't care for pickles too much.  A slice every now and then is about all I care to eat.  But maybe you can find the transcript or recipe's online.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 09:33:31 pm »
 I make Kim-chee occasionally!
YUMMMMY!!!
 I might have to look into the fermented cukes tho.....Actually, now that i think of it, some Kim-chee is made with cucumbers instead of Bok-choy.

your friend,
john

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 04:38:20 pm »
Alright. I will ferment them this year. Just went out and got a few items and will begin tonite. I have loads of 5gal buckets waiting to be used, so I will use them.

I usually do quick method so I can make various styles and segrees of hot, and a few for the weak of heart. This year, to heck w/ weak of heart friends and family. Hot and garlicky all the way.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 07:52:16 pm »
KONASDAD, speaking of HOT, I am still eating on that jar of pepper relish that you sent me last fall. It is very good, but a little goes a long way. Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Paul H

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 11:11:26 pm »
Alright. I will ferment them this year. Just went out and got a few items and will begin tonite. I have loads of 5gal buckets waiting to be used, so I will use them.

Since you've started them already, the recipe won't do you any good, but there is good info here  I found the Low-temperature Pasteurization method to work well.  Good luck!

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 11:14:56 am »
KONASDAD, speaking of HOT, I am still eating on that jar of pepper relish that you sent me last fall. It is very good, but a little goes a long way. Steve

Steve- I know. This year I will do small 1/2 pint jars. Big mistake doing them thats size.

I am all out of pecans which were awesome. Thanx.

[/quote]

Since you've started them already, the recipe won't do you any good, but there is good info here  I found the Low-temperature Pasteurization method to work well.  Good luck!
[/quote]

That recipe is sort of the standard recipe found all over net. Mine is almost identical as the ratios need to be similar or bad stuff happens to your pickles if you mess w/ ratio's too much. I increase the pickle spice, garlic and hot peppers a lot and increase the vinegar a little as i like the vinegar taste.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 10:50:29 pm »
I'm going to order my first crock here in a couple weeks.  Anything I need to know about picking one out?  Should I start with a 1 gallon or go right up to the 10 gallon?

My wife and I made our first batch of "refriderator pickles" from a kit last year that turned out awesome!  So now I've become really curious about fermenting the old fashion way and making REAL pickles!!!

Any good books out there I should check out?  I brew my own beer and wine, so is the fermentation process the same?  Do I use yeast or is there a different process?

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 12:53:26 am »
I'm going to order my first crock here in a couple weeks.  Anything I need to know about picking one out?  Should I start with a 1 gallon or go right up to the 10 gallon?

My wife and I made our first batch of "refriderator pickles" from a kit last year that turned out awesome!  So now I've become really curious about fermenting the old fashion way and making REAL pickles!!!

Any good books out there I should check out?  I brew my own beer and wine, so is the fermentation process the same?  Do I use yeast or is there a different process?

Sean Kelly

I'd go for a 5 or 10 gallon from the get go.  A couple of 10 gallons, filled with cukes and brine, should make enough pickles to last all winter.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 06:17:33 pm »
Thanks Brian!  Just what I needed to know.  I saw a company that sells a complete starter kit that I almost bought that comes with a 1 gallon stoneware crock (which I still might buy since it's so inexpensive), but now I think I'll also get the 5 gallon at the same time.  I think the 1 gallon would be a nice size to make a little saurkraut too.

I've never done this before (besides fridge pickles) and my wife is afraid it's gunna make our house smell like the old Pickle factory did out in Enumclaw (which you could smell from miles away).  Is it gunna be bad?  Should I keep it out in the woodshed?

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 06:55:46 pm »
Sean it will probably smell some but never like Farmans!  My directions will forever be "turn L or R on pickle factory rd...If you put it in the woodshed I would insulate somehow so the temps don't fluctuate a whole lot, or freeze in the winter..We will miss you & the girls on Sunday :'(  .  Maybe I can bring some rabbit & duck home for you??  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 10:22:52 pm »
Thanks Brian!  Just what I needed to know.  I saw a company that sells a complete starter kit that I almost bought that comes with a 1 gallon stoneware crock (which I still might buy since it's so inexpensive), but now I think I'll also get the 5 gallon at the same time.  I think the 1 gallon would be a nice size to make a little saurkraut too.

I've never done this before (besides fridge pickles) and my wife is afraid it's gunna make our house smell like the old Pickle factory did out in Enumclaw (which you could smell from miles away).  Is it gunna be bad?  Should I keep it out in the woodshed?

Sean Kelly

Back in the day....that was what cellars, rootcellars, and storage sheds were for.  A barrel of pickles in the pantry will make the whole house smell like a Vlasic jar.   BTW, fermenting Kraut smells worse than the pickles.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 03:56:07 pm »
What about putting it in the well house?  It's insulated.  Besides all the bugs and mold in there, would there be any issues?

Sean Kelly

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 04:02:29 pm »
Sean that would probably work does it have any ventilation? There needs to be some air movement, not airtight.  Wish I could have seen your face as you saw the pic of your Parents place!!  hee hee!  We tried to get ahold of you, coulda kidnapped your family for the trip to Mowich!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 05:31:17 pm »
I did the fermented style this year in a 5 gal food grade bucket. Used a plate to keep pickles submerged. They came out awesome and my basement smelled good, but it didn';t stick . After pickles jarred and cleaned up, so scent at all. I usually did refrigerator jars, but these do taste better. The smell also has to compete w/ wine making scent, honey, pickles, drying onions and garlic. All good smells!!!
My one suggestion would be to take a few jars before you boil and can them and just place in frig. They will keep at least two months and will be very crispy. Boiling for storage takes some of the snap out of them. Taste greast, and will store for a year in cellar.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 02:33:12 am »
My grandmother used to use an old porcelan plate with a brick on top to keep the pickles submerged in the brine.  Kept the pickles better and you could skim off the foam that develops on top the brine.

anything