Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping. wow!!  (Read 10189 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Beekeeping. wow!!
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2010, 10:29:51 am »
Elusive in post 28 has been responded to. Please do not comment any further on his post,as it gives him what he wants.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2010, 10:34:35 am »
 I have had nothing but good help from this site and good people.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2010, 10:39:18 am »
Elusive in post 28 has been responded to. Please do not comment any further on his post,as it gives him what he wants.

Who are you talking too?

If it was me, "elusive" is not the only one I was referring too. Others have commented that SHB are a fact of life and should be expected. Not true at all, and not true to expect in your purchased nucs.

Having more then one respond to posts shows not only the original poster how wrong he was, but also reaffirms the beekeeper reading such posts. Suggesting you are now limiting a respond to the "first come, first commented" and repeated opinions are to be not offered, is wrong in my opinion.

But I'll keep that in mind for the future.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:20:28 am by BjornBee »
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2010, 11:37:22 am »
As far as the broken frame goes, what I would do is put a little glue on it, take a couple of pieces of tie wire and wrap them around the broken pieces and twist them tightly together pulling the wood closed. Nailing on the frame with the bees on it will make them mad and maybe break the comb. Zip ties could be used but I doubt they would pull up tighter than the wire.

Don't even bother with the butt headed replies, those people are just wanting to get a rise out of you.

Sounds like you will do fine, the bees don't really care if the frame is broken or not.

I will have to agree with BJ about the shape of the nuc you bought, looks like some one just pieced together a bunch of old drawn combs and frames. Not trying to down you here, but next time you buy a nuc or established hive make an inspection of the bees first, frame by frame. If the seller refuses to let you do that walk away.

Hang in there!!

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2010, 11:38:03 am »
givemeone,

Welcome to the beekeeping. When I first started I had all kinds of questions and problems. You could probably search my post and boy did I start out all wrong, well maybe not wrong becuse now Im up to 8 hives and enjoy doing it. Hnag in there and ask all the questions you can. Everyone on this site is great and there is so much wisdom here its unbelievable.

To me the pictures you posted looked good. I tried going foundationless and boy oh boy did I not have a good time with that. Micheal Bush is correct on not buying a starter kit, same question I asked when I got started but what did I do, I went out and bought a starter kit. Im not good at fixing things or making things so it gets a little expensive in the long run but when you go outside and sit and watch the bees flying in and out you sure can have a relaxing time.

Once again hang in there and dont get discouraged because its all worth it.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2010, 11:38:23 am »
He wasn't referring to your post, BJ, he was responding to mine and Irwins. We replied to a troll and now that it is in the open, there's no reason to let it live. Your post is spot on. The supplier of the nuc was just throwing out his trash. He should be exposed.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline MacfromNS

• House Bee
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 10:56:30 pm »
This is my 3rd year. I have 4 hives now but I have never seen a beetle. I do have
a few mites.
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling.
And even more beautiful is knowing that you are the reason behind it!!!
Mac

Offline greenbtree

• Field Bee
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 01:57:48 am »
Save the beeswax from that piece that fell off. It is nice, fresh, clean beeswax.  If the bees continue to build out from that foundation in a weird way, brushing the bare foundation with melted beeswax will make it more acceptable to them.  I am finding sometimes they just don't like certain frames - the wax has gotten thinner over the plastic, whatever.  Putting on a new coat of wax helps and can save an otherwise good frame.  I have had a few "angel wings" sticking out from the surface of some of my frames too - none quite that big though.  Breaking them off is definitely the way to go.  Hang in there - the learning curve is quite steep at first.

JC
"Rise again, rise again - though your heart it be broken, or life about to end.  No matter what you've lost, be it a home, a love, a friend, like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again!"

Offline givemeone

• New Bee
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 02:44:23 am »
Once again, thanks for all the help.  Much appreciated.  I think that there might be a few folks on here who might be associated with the "other/supplier side" of the business...so, I accept their criticism ..until it becomes personal.

I'm glad to hear from people who don't think damaged equipment and infested bees/hives are normal.  I was beginnning to think I was out of my element.  Anyways, we contacted our supplier.  They suggested gradually moving the damaged frame to the outside of the box, and suggested bettle traps for the beetle problem.   They offered no other remedies to make it right..and our bees really do seem to be doing pretty well, so I guess we'll move on.

Right now, I don't know a whole lot about bees.  But, It looks like our current queen definitely has what it takes to overcome some of the problems we've encountered.  

I was considering using a zip tie to fix the broken frame.  Seems like a quick fix?  Wondering if anybody else has had success fixing broken frames this way.  

Bettle traps go in next inspection and the "top feeder" goes out due to the ants.  Doesn't seem to be a way to keep them out with a top feeder.  

Theses bees seem to be oblivious to smoke.  I'm probably doing it wrong.  But they seem real reluctant to move.

Much more questions to come.  

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2010, 03:17:26 am »
You could use a zip tie to fix the frame if you like. Shouldn't be a problem.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2010, 09:22:13 am »
I used a rubber band to fix one of my plastic frames I cut too far trying to turn it into a foundationless frame. The bees built right over the rubber band.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2010, 09:46:51 am »
Question:
Some recommend using wood glue on a broken frame that was in the hive. 

Does this really work?

I've never tried it so don't know if it would work, but it seems to me that all of the wood surfaces would be propolized or waxed-up and wouldn't stick....

???

Thanks, Rick
Rick

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2010, 09:58:12 am »

If it was me, "elusive" is not the only one I was referring too. Others have commented that SHB are a fact of life and should be expected. Not true at all, and not true to expect in your purchased nucs.

I wouldn't know about the purchased nucs since I've never purchased any, and only have purchased 2 packages that I don't think had SHB and have only done splits and swarms and the little buggers are still in my area and not going to leave.  So they are a fact of live for me and to be expected.  I'm not sure what a package or nuc supplier in SHB country can really do to guarantee that there would be no beetles in a hive, other than spending a lot of time going over each cell making sure there isn't a shb hiding.  (I know, prevention is the key here, but not guanteed)

But the other side of that is that I've NEVER had an issue with them with my outdoor hives in all that, and as stated before, a healthy hive will not usually have problems with them, so there is not any reason for panic!! (maybe a tiny bit of worry but only in the form of keeping an eye on them when you get in the hive :) )

Keep in mind, when on the forums you need to expect a lot of experiences from a lot of different sources and opinions from each of them as well... :)

Rick
Rick