Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bottled my mead  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Bottled my mead
« on: March 15, 2009, 06:00:26 pm »
I finally decided it was time to bottle my mead. It does not taste all that bad right now. But I am sure it will get better with time. A question for you mead making experts. I put Camden tabs in the mead at a rate of 2 per gallon, waited 24 hours and noted that there was still a tiny bit of bubbles still raising. Then I added 1 more tab per gallon waited several hours then bottled. I have one bottle that was the end of the batch and it has a bunch of junk in it making it cloudy. I tipped it upside down and let it sit for a few hours. some of the sediment settled to the bottom (upside down on the cork) I had only placed the cork in part way in order to try to let some of the sediment out latter. I pulled the cork out slowly and there was some of pressure inside. I am wondering if I have a problem on my hands or if this is normal to have some pressure build up after bottling. It was not a lot but it defiantly was some pressure. If the fermentation was not stopped will the corks blow off or will the bottles blow up?

Click to enlarge!

Click to enlarge!

Click to enlarge!
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
Re: Bottled my mead
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 08:19:37 pm »

I don't know if camden tablets will stop fermentation in its tracks. I have never used them except at the beginning. I have heard that using them to stop fermentation is a little dicey because fermentation can start again. Do you what to keep the mead sweet? I have always just let my mead ferment
 all the way out. Its alittle dry but after a year in the bottle its quite good. You could use more honey, say 14 lbs for a 5 gal. recipe and the fermantation will stop on its own because the yeast stop growing after about 14% alcohol. Its kinda strong,but it will be sweet. How strong it gets depends on the yeast you use, some yeasts will tolerate higher or lower alcohol content. You could play around with smaller batches and find out what you like. I always liked sparkling meads, but that's topic for another day

David

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 10:28:38 pm »
Well so much for that. Thanks troutstalker2. I did some more checking and found that the Camden tabs are not very reliable for stopping fermentation. The recipe I used said to just put the tabs in and then bottle. I think I should have just let it finish it self off.

Well I took some corks off and some of them went flying and some did nothing so I dont know. I left 5 bottles to see what happens and I put the rest back into one gallon carboys, added some yeast nutrient and some energizer. I will see what happens. I had thought about not bottling one of the gallons today but in the end I did all three. I wish I had not done that now.
Semper Fi

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:28:38 pm »
If your trying to end up with a sweeter mead I would usually recommend using less sugar in the beginning and letting it finish to dryness and then add sulfite and sorbate along with the extra sweetener whether you use a fermentable sugar or one that doesn't is up to you.  I'm not a big fan of doing it that way though.  Too much messin' around for me.  I prefer dry wines anyway, so just letting it go until it's done works for me.  I think putting them back in the carboy was the right call.  You can also stuff some cotton balls in the remaining bottles for a little while to let them finish gassing off.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:15:15 am »
G'day Greg,

Wow you have a wonderfully light coloured mead.. my honey is very dark (almost black) and very sweet so I usually end up with a mead that has a rich golden colour and I have to let it ferment for months for it to ferment to almost dryness. The yeast actually stops working and when I bottle it, it still has a little gas to give it a little sparkle at the end.

Unless you are using a hydrometer it is probably impossible to know if all the sugar is used without the taste test.. (yum) which I do every time.

Woops, the posting just happened  :roll:

I have yet to find the correct amount of honey for my recipe and I still have 10 litres in flagons from 2 years ago that I am now thinking of bottling shortly. Hopefully they will be nice and dry but I am also partial to a lightly spritzy sweeter drop

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:45:00 am »
I try to bulk age as much as possible. Then bottle after using camden tablets. Camden helps keep bacteria levels down.
You also might PM Moonshae, NJ recent winner in mead !!! He won some ribbons for his mead!!!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:32:26 pm »
Nice job, Greg  :-D

Looks like the Little Guy is out to drink your Profits   ;) :-D

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 12:37:33 pm »
Nice job, Greg  :-D

Looks like the Little Guy is out to drink your Profits   ;) :-D
Yea look at the smile on his face. :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 12:38:26 pm »
I agree with the entire batch aging process.  this allows you to add oak chips to play with flavor a little bit.  It also allows you to flavor as your bottle a smaller amount of the main batch.  I also let my meads batch age for minimum of 1 year to let them really be done with fermentation.  I have never had corks blow off...  No bombs...  No need for sulfites on the tail end either..  In fact I dont sulfite up front, just run the honey.  If you make a strong enough yeast starter no worries about the little creatures inside the honey.  Its like playing WAR..  A huge army will always destroy a small army on the same playin field...  

I like the pics of the youngster helping bottling.  Its something we should pass down to our kids.  That is not the idea of drinkin booze, but the idea of being self sufficient.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 06:05:14 pm »
Well the mead I put back into the one gal carboys is not doing anything. I had added nutrient and energizer to try to get it going again if it was going to go but it has not. The bottles I bottled are doing fine, no explosions yet. So I guess the Camden tabs did kill everything. It had been fermenting for 3 months so maybe it was near the end anyway. The SG was still at 1.010 which makes me wonder what was going on. Oh well hopefully it will age well and be worth drinking.
Semper Fi

Offline TimLa

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 07:03:32 pm »
I've not made mead (YET!), but have made a fair amount of high-gravity beers over the last 20 years (was even a contest judge for a while)... so, just some random comments from the homebrew angle (keeping in mind that for the last ten years I don't bottle, but use kegs):

Always let the stuff ferment to completion.  In a carboy, that means that if you watch the fermentation lock, you should see no bubbles in, say, 20 minutes.
If you want carbonation, just add a *small* amount of sugar to each bottle.
If you want sweetness, the initial batch should be high enough in specific gravity that the yeast stops fermenting (due to high alcohol content) before all the sugar is gone.  In beer, we adjust this by choosing the mash schedule and grain load, which determines the ratio of complex to simple sugars as well as the specific gravity,(there are books on just this topic, so I'm oversimplifying) which is not an option with meade.

When dealing with unknown carbonation levels, store the bottled product in a case (like the bottles came from) so if one explodes it'll be easier to clean up. In your case, it looks like you're using standard wine corks, which should just pop out if the pressure gets too high.

I know that wine makers use camden (sp?) and sometimes sulphites (sp?), I never have in making beer.  However, wine (which meade is, sort of) has to age a whole lot longer than beer - in fact, the quality of beer deteriorates over time, while many wines peak about 4-5 years after bottling, which may explain why preservatives are used.

Just random musings.  I'm waiting on a new package of Italians due in the next couple of weeks to replace what the bear got last fall.  At least he only destroyed the frames.

-T
Some days you just want to line them all up and start asking questions.

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 07:15:31 pm »
Those are some butiful bottles of mead.  It figures a Marine would make Booze :-D

Semper Fi brother

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline the kid

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 10:46:16 pm »
it needs to be degassed     ( it means stir it hard )  this gets the gas out that's still trapped in the mead