Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Queenless or queen stopped laying?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Yarra_Valley

• House Bee
Hive Queenless or queen stopped laying?
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:06:19 am »
Hi Everyone,

Its been a while since I've posted here. After a break from the bees I've taken to keeping them again.

I did an inspection on my sole hive yesterday and noticed there was no brood at all. I didn't see the queen, but wasn't looking for her initially, just checking the brood for disease and stores for winter. Well there was no brood to check. The bees seemed to be methodical as normal and of usual temperament, not acting nervous.

I'm wondering if the colony is queenless or the queen has just stopped laying for winter. For those overseas, its the last month of autumn here but its been quite cold, wetter and colder than average I think.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Careful, my pets can smell your hives. 8)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Hive Queenless or queen stopped laying?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 12:36:58 pm »
Sounds like she shut down for the winter. That is a good thing. The hive does not meet to be feeding brood with no food coming in. Brood consumes large amounts of food. A whole lot more than the adult bees do.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 07:01:26 am »
Yarra Valley beware of the advice that you receive from this forum. Lots of posts does not mean wisdom.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 01:36:37 pm »
Then again, it doesn't mean the poster doesn't know what he/she is talking about, either :rolleyes:
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944