Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: storage bucket flaw  (Read 3692 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
storage bucket flaw
« on: April 06, 2008, 01:04:28 pm »
i got a 5 gallon storage bucket for honey.  it  has a honey gate and a close fitting lid.  i put the honey from a cut out in it.  my husband decided that there were folks who needed honey bears.  i, the dutiful wife, went to fill the bears.  have i mentioned that it is COLD HERE?

the honey began to glop out on my hand and the floor, very little making it into the bear.  the lid on the bucket sucked down.  even though i have a lid opener, i can not loosen the lid.  it occurred to me that the buckets need and air vent.  something like the ones on the plastic gas containers.  small and as flush to the bucket as possible.

has any one fixed a bucket like this?  do i just need to bring the honey bucket into the house and warm it in front of the pellet stove every time i want to use it?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: storage bucket flaw
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 01:11:28 pm »
You have to leave the lid cracked if not off for air to get in the top.  Open the gate only a tiny bit.  Personally I bought a smaller valve for filling smaller containers, than the typical honey gate and mounted it on a bucket just for bottling.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 03:07:20 pm »
well, i got her done.  a smaller gate is a good idea.  maybe i'll do that on the next bucket. 

no offense guys, but i suspect a man designed this bucket thing and just didn't finish the job.  if you can figure out you need to vent a gas can so it doesn't burp, you can do the same with a honey bucket!   :-*
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 03:24:50 pm »
You take an Ice pick and poke a hole in the top and then plug it with a tooth pick.  :-D
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 03:53:57 pm »
jerrymac, that is a manly answer!!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 05:02:45 pm »
A valve in the top would overcomplicate the whole thing.  Cracking the lid is quite sufficient to resolve the problem and doesn't create a new problem of how to seal the top so dirt and ants don't get in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 05:44:25 pm »
  My problem is with the valve,  when I attach it to the bucket.  Sometimes the bucket cracks because I have to tighten the ring on the valve to keep it from leaking. The valve is designed to go on a flat surface not a curved on like the side of a bucket.
  Is there anything better out there?
Jim       

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 08:19:55 pm »
silicone
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 03:10:35 am »
or a gasket.  Oh, wait--that's old fashioned.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 08:23:45 am »
the gasket leaks.  I'm thinking the silicone is a good idea. silicone is like liquid duct tape right?  Is there a food grade silicone?
Jim

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 02:55:05 am »
Yes there is. I just leave the lid off as I usually bottle after it has been strained into the bucket. My problem was this honey was so thick and it was 80 in the house for 2 days and I had a heater blowing on the bucket that is flowed like caramel instead of honey. I also noticed a little of the white plastic honey gate coming off. And they had cut the hole to low and could bairly tighten the nut for the honey gate as the cornors on the nut kept hitting the bottom of the bucket. That is my  only beef. We wound up putting one of those screw lids on the honey bucket and I love it. Just screw the lid on and off. Perfect.

Angi

anything