Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where to put the new SUPER?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
Where to put the new SUPER?
« on: July 07, 2009, 12:24:40 pm »
I am a new (this april) bekeeper, with two hives from a commercial hive provider, that was getting rid of his hives, to go to all mediums, and sold them with the bees in them. One hive is really going to town, the other is slower. I decided I wanted comb honey, and have a honey super on each one, with a  queen excluder (which I did not put on till after they were starting on the new frames, please do not tell me not to use the excluders, as that is my choice) As the real flourishing hive, is really getting a lot of honey in it I figured I had better put on a second super (I traded a new frame not drawn out from the new empty super, with one started with some capped honey in it in the first super). My question is, where should the new super go, on top of or under the one presently on the hive?
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Where to put the new SUPER?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 04:48:50 pm »
You still have a nectar flow enough to draw wax??? Geeze I need to move up the road 40 miles :-D!!!

It is done either way. Most put it on the top. Less work and manipulation that way. No one I have ever talked too seems to think it speeds it up by placing it on the bottom.

If you don't have a flow, they will only cut holes and chew the new foundation.
John 3:16

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:44:05 pm »
after the flow the only way to get frames drawn out is to feed, this does some time make them fill brood chambers and want to swarm, it a touchy thing that you have to figure out, I get frames drawn out during dearth mainly when I feed nuc's, I start with 2 frames of brood with pollen with bee's and frame of honey with bee's then install a Q/cell and feed all the time and get frames drawn out, I move these frame in and out so they keep drawing them. but sometimes they just decide to stop and you have to be on top of it or the will go honey bound.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:24:45 am »
after the flow the only way to get frames drawn out is to feed, this does some time make them fill brood chambers and want to swarm, it a touchy thing that you have to figure out, I get frames drawn out during dearth mainly when I feed nuc's, I start with 2 frames of brood with pollen with bee's and frame of honey with bee's then install a Q/cell and feed all the time and get frames drawn out, I move these frame in and out so they keep drawing them. but sometimes they just decide to stop and you have to be on top of it or the will go honey bound.

Please explain, my search for "honey bound" resulted in only your post on this thread.

thanks for answering.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 10:50:48 am »
Also, if they do quit making honey, will they cap all they have made? Do I leave the unfilled (capped or ncapped) in there untill they start back making honey?

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:37:49 am »
Lakeman,  honey bound, means they back fill the brood chamber and leave the queen no room to lay. 
Charla Hinkle

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 04:26:04 pm »
Honeybound often happen when you try to feed to induce drawing comb. The bees are only on a flow you have created and draw comb only as thye need it. They often fill the combs as they draw them and don't start drawing another until the drawn combs are practically full.

By doing this they fill all space and leave the queen nowhere to lay. Thus "honeybound".

>Also, if they do quit making honey, will they cap all they have made? Do I leave the unfilled (capped or ncapped) in there until they start back making honey?

They may or may not cap it. They may us it in this dearth before capping. Just leave it, they will do with it what they please.

I belive I asked when you first joined the forum. Are you a member of Lakelands Beekeepers in Greenwood?
Always helps to be a member of an association. If you are I'm sure you have meet Ray, I understand he is a great mentor and most of all willing to be one!!!

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 07:55:57 pm »
Honeybound often happen when you try to feed to induce drawing comb. The bees are only on a flow you have created and draw comb only as thye need it. They often fill the combs as they draw them and don't start drawing another until the drawn combs are practically full.
I belive I asked when you first joined the forum. Are you a member of Lakelands Beekeepers in Greenwood?
Always helps to be a member of an association. If you are I'm sure you have meet Ray, I understand he is a great mentor and most of all willing to be one!!!

I have not been feeding them, and they are drawing out the comb, and making honey. I do not know how much bloom is needed for this. I do have about an acre or more, that has been full of different weeds (wildflowers) that have been in bloom, plus my garden, and a couple of neighboring gardens I can see (maybe more hidden), I hope they continue to fill frames, I am waiting for my first bite of real comb honey, and would like to give my neighbors each a sample. I did not put on the queen excluders, untill they started drawing comb, and making honey in my supers filled with "cut comb" foundation.
Yes I have joined the Lakelands Beekeepers, and after completing their recent bee school, I have attended their meetings, which has been a lot of help.
Yes I have met, and know Ray, I just hate to bother him, and my computer is useually a good source, when I have a question or two.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 12:09:34 am »
>I have not been feeding them, and they are drawing out the comb, and making honey. I do not know how much bloom is needed for this.

Great, they are drawing comb--- I am definitely in a dearth here. We have gotten about an inch and a half of needed rain. Maybe it will start something here!

How much bloom needed. Not sure there is a good answer. Depends on weather and other factors and hive strength. If planting for bees I guess every little bit helps ---- but I understand it takes a huge planting to make a difference as in affect honey production. Bees around a town often find sources in yard planting that keep them going. I have one such area.

>Yes I have joined the Lakelands Beekeepers, and after completing their recent bee school, I have attended their meetings, which has been a lot of help.
Yes I have met, and know Ray, I just hate to bother him, and my computer is useually a good source, when I have a question or two.

Glad you found Lakelands. I understand bothering people, I feel the same ---- beemaster is a good source for questions.