Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A Cut-Out With Two Queens & A Swarm  (Read 2703 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
A Cut-Out With Two Queens & A Swarm
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:37:15 pm »
Caught a small swarm but they were nice and gentle.

Did a cut-out, the guy said the hive was exposed and was about 2yrs old, right! The comb was so old and nasty, I didn't use any of it. It was like cutting through leather. I saw the queen early on and got her later but she looked kinda small, no worries.

Like I said the comb was old, so I decided to treat them like a swarm, with the box method. I placed the caged queen inside the box with a a frame of brood and some brood comb, and cut me a flap so they could get in. The bees were gentle, even though the homeowner got stung about 5 times.

I told him not to flail, but he decided that flailing was something he must do, and he paid for it. I got stung by accident when one crawled up my sleeve and that was it. They were gentle bees trust me, but if you want to act like a dingbat, I don't think bees like dingbats.

Anyway, I decided to place a piece of comb with pollen and honey atop the box, while I picked up my tools etc..., to allow the bees time to orient to the box. Oh, and I left my roll of duct tape on top the box, didn't know bees liked duct tape so much.

Once I picked up, I decided to remove that one comb section, which was covered in bees.

Wouldn't you know the first queen that I spotted, the plump one, was on that section of comb, I was about to throw away. I caged her and put her through the flap. Two queens in the box, pretty neat. Will be a queen show down tonite in the box for sure, I guess.

Oh, and some kids decided to spray paint the exposed comb, idiots huh?
http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/March262008

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: A Cut-Out With Two Queens & A Swarm
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 10:43:20 am »
JP, love to see the pictures that you always put into the posts of yours, it is good to see what you are up to. Beautiful day in our great lives.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: A Cut-Out With Two Queens & A Swarm
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 10:48:45 am »
JP, love to see the pictures that you always put into the posts of yours, it is good to see what you are up to. Beautiful day in our great lives.  Cindi

You are too sweet Cindi, and I am glad you're back girl, we all missed you. How about that, no sarcastic remarks, heehee. :-*

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com