Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Those bloody yanks, cant unnerstan plain english!  (Read 10842 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
Those bloody yanks, cant unnerstan plain english!
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:27:06 pm »
I thought Id post this here as well to compliment the Certificate 3 course in all things Aussie that is currently runnin in this section. See how much good the Strine module has done.

Had the first of the work Xmas parties today followed by barefoot bowls.

After a nice bit of tucker and a few sherbets we headed outside whereupon I watched the team sending a few down coached by the local volunteer pervert and he had his work cut out. The guts of the joint was full of two wheelers having a gay and hearty for one of them with a bit tread off, but our team had a few nice brace and bits amongst it so it was no contest for him.

I tried my best to get into old fart mode, sat there and called wide, complained about the zephyr and the state of the track, but I had to give in for the sake of the team.

Didnt sort em, didnt weigh em, didnt look at em, did it all on feel and Jack High as usual. I sent the first one down forehand, , to get the lay of the land that was that artificial caper so I let the clutch out and it was a bit heavy, but beautiful. Sent down the next backhand to have a crack at the turn and pulled up short.

Now the third has to be on the money, my reputations at stake here, so is yours Cracker my online coach. Great lessons they were, I will never forget them. The boss was using Magpies so I thought of you, it seems all was against me. The coves were having a ball because the two wheeler boss of mine had arsed a beauty and they were all trying to blow it out of the water, sending down boulders while the coach was trying to take his gaze away from one particular lemonade and sars with vatican cities to match. Now I know why the flag was at half mast, it was I kid you not. Another barefoot coach pickle and pied due to having a gander at the visiting wildlife.

I told the crowd that my orchestras are at stake thats a monty, but I also want to be at work next week.

The boss`s was a bees dick shy and ruling out the tally ho all guns blazing approach.

There is politics involved here, cant beat the bosses shot, cant lose face. So I sent it down for a nice miss I hoped via the scenic route. Started out to the right disected two wayward orchestra stalls belonging to the camp next door and came in spinner with a nudge of her magpie that left me with no choice but to call for the stewards.

Happy to report that it was given to the Boss by a short half head to the roars of the crowd and the ringing of the till in my pocket.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Those bloody yanks, cant unnerstan plain english!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 12:02:42 am »
Duh?????

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 12:52:38 am »
Just as a word of explanation, we do use the term Yanks here as a way of referring to all our North American cousins, without disciminating between north or south.  It is not meant to be abusive; it is just our way of talking.  Most of us have a poor command of history, american history included, and to us Yanks is just descriptive of the origin of the person being anywhere in North America.  It is much the same as Down Under is used to refer to our location.  I have a friend who lived in NC who told me to be careful using the word though, as it can be considered offensive by americans.  We do not mean it that way.

I'll leave the rest of the interpretation to our Micko.

Lone

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 01:29:10 am »
I understood, Mick... But then again I'm not a yank!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 01:29:41 am »
some from the south might take momentary offense, but they'll get over it  :-).  anyone else that thin skinned isn't worth worrying about.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 01:48:03 am »
I could be wrong (it happens - I know, huh?), but I came to understand Yonquis to be a Huron indian word for "white folk" - changed to yankee over time; a geographical nickname out of a description of race. (so what?) ;)
 - Now I have the song "yankee doodle" stuck in my head.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:26:14 am »
I came to understand Yonquis to be a Huron indian word for "white folk" - changed to yankee over time;

I heard that it was because the original folks in New York were Dutch, so the english called them all "Jan" (dutch for john, pronounced "yahn"), and the dutch like their cheese, so they were degradingly called "Jan cheese".  The dutch must have thought it funny, so turned around and called the english that too, and it stuck with a little spelling variation. But then I'm dutch (if you're not dutch you're not much!!)

Strine...Ebonics...just strange dialects for now.  Give them a few years.....
Rick

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 10:34:12 am »
I don't know what game you were playing, but it sounds like fun, Mick.

Lone, don't fret the small stuff. Nobody is guaranteed to not be offended in life. I'm from NC and I've been called much worse things than yank.  ;)

If it bothers someone, It's a problem with them, not with our "down under" friends.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 11:32:50 am »
When my boyfriend and I traveled to New Zealand, I warned him about the use of "Yank".  He (born and bred southern gentlemen) said "Well, they'll only call me that once!"  Of course, it was all in fun and he always just smiled when they called him that.   Southern pride is really only understood by southerners :).

Offline John Lee Pettimore

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:01:03 pm »
 Southern pride is really only understood by southerners :).

Well said.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 05:45:47 pm »
Annette, the game is Bowls which is English Lawn Bowling. Played in Sports Clubs, a all in one Conplex that you join to get cheap food, place bets, slots, rug-rat minding, bowls, drink and party. :-D
I really wish that BC would allow those type of Clubs too. :-x
If  I missed any feature, an down-side mick can fill in the blanks for our Yankee and Rebellious neighbors :evil:.

... Rob

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 08:42:17 pm »
Ok now I understand the post.  Sounds like fun!!

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 04:14:32 am »
You are all yanks to me.

We picked it up for WW1 and WW2, the Yanks are coming, overpaid, oversexed and over here was the catch cry during WW2.

Just as the term Bastard is a term of affection down under, so too little bugger for that matter, Yank is the same.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 09:36:09 am »
Just don't mention the rhyming slang for the term Mick!

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 08:05:48 pm »

Raising this hoary ol' goat to add the aforementioned "sherberts" are ponies, and
for good reason in a full "Men's Day" of Bowls.
[use]
"The silly galah went from ponies to pots before that last end.. no wonder kitty up
and shot the head! ".
Much has changed in the world of Lawn Bowls in the past 20 years... "barefoot bowling"
being allowed was one such significant change.

Sadly, in my view, "Strine" has largely disappeared since the '80s in Australia, with whole
chunks of Australia themselves being bewildered by any use of today. South Australia
being one such core of confusion.
Isolated use can still be found in Western Queensland and the Northern Territory where
pubs (bars/hotels) are still regularly patronised and designated smoking areas are a
grey/gray area. [ no pun]

A note for our Americas brethren; Strine is not to be confused with "dialect" as Strine
was in wide use all over Australia up until the early '70s, unlike the difffering dialects
found in many States of the USA which exist today, and in Strine were known as
"local yokel lingo".
Movies of the like of Crocodile Dundee and The Castle were productions which exploited
Strine in a type of parochial revival of a lost world, considered "cute" by those producers
in bringing the lingo to a world stage. Many fair dinkum Aussies were hugely 
embarrassed by both those productions.

I enjoyed the story, well spun it were, like :-)

Cheers.

Bill

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 10:30:08 pm »

this was fun.  glad you revived you.  You must be deep reading!!  :cheesy:

I like your map!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 12:32:02 am »

Thanks for reviving this post eltalia, does that name relate to eltalian ? ? It has created a great reunion of sorts for me as with the passing of time I have got to meet a few of the posters to this thread personally and a couple by this forum and Ventrilo. Probably kathyp, Ziffabeek, Iddee and Lone through their take on me appreciated where MICK was coming from as I think the bloke (Australian for gentleman) who conceived Cracker Jack  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYL1qxoOqk) had our Mick in mind.  Think I have a link to where he is these days so will give him a poke to reply to this thread.
     Lone is a dinky di Aussie and the other three dont match the images of Yanks as a lot of people view them but as Lone explained Yanks here is a general term for all Americans. I certainly believe that Mick had me in mind when he posted which prompted Bud to label me the Rock Chunker ! !

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 12:52:11 am by Geoff »
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 02:36:59 am »
 "  Thanks for reviving this post eltalia, does that name relate to eltalian ? ? "

.. too right mate, a play on Nino from the movie linked to below, and a principal character in
"One Day Of The Year",  a production I long ago played the role of Hughie Cook in... and had
to leave that small country town shortly thereafter, to serve in the now ADF,
ironicly enough :-D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They%27re_a_Weird_Mob_(film)

psssst... no eyetie blood in me but I have lived and breathed the Italian all my life.
It is a long yarn :-)

Cheers.

Bill

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 02:44:42 am »
Quote from: kathypic=25847.msg440572#msg440572 date=1500082208

(edit)

I like your map!

:chuckles:

... it IS deep, and remnants of a lesson formed by a Yank mate of mine, now long dead.
He was a top bloke, in Life and "on the Net"... I miss his guidance still today. MHRIP

:thumbs_up:

Bill:

Offline Captain776

• House Bee
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 03:43:02 am »
Just as a word of explanation, we do use the term Yanks here as a way of referring to all our North American cousins, without disciminating between north or south.  It is not meant to be abusive; it is just our way of talking.  Most of us have a poor command of history, american history included, and to us Yanks is just descriptive of the origin of the person being anywhere in North America.  It is much the same as Down Under is used to refer to our location.  I have a friend who lived in NC who told me to be careful using the word though, as it can be considered offensive by americans.  We do not mean it that way.

I'll leave the rest of the interpretation to our Micko.

Lone

It's OK.......IT could be worse, you could have referred to us by that favorite Aussie term.........the dreaded [removed by moderator]
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:49:23 am by eivindm »
Bought my first NUC April 7, 2016.
Like all you when you first started, I am fascinated with beginning Beekeeping and trying to learn all I can.
I retired May 2015 and have added this to my short list of hobbies.