Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can someone help me get some bees?  (Read 2978 times)

Offline artsie26

• New Bee
Can someone help me get some bees?
« on: April 23, 2009, 02:08:29 pm »
      I just  got a call that the 3lb. pkg. I was supposed to pick up tomorrow didn't make it. They said they lost 80% of there orders due to overheating. I'm soooo disappointed :( 
      They gave me a couple names and numbers to try to order from, and only one of them has bees left, but they won't ship  out until may 18, or the week after that. I think that sounds kind of late....what do you all think?
       Does anyone know somewhere else I can try?....I'm looking for someplace that will ship them.
                Thanks!!!!
                      Artsie

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Can someone help me get some bees?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 02:43:38 pm »
May 18th is not to bad for this area, and really your only other option wlll be to buy some locally.  Local bees won't probably be availabe until that time or later.  The other option you have is to get your name on some swarm lists, swarms will start happening anytime now but esspecially in May or 1st. of June.  Good Luck!

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 03:14:01 pm »
  OR... JP the SWARM KING and probably ship you some! [GRIN]

Offline beryfarmer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:03:36 pm »
try waldo apiaries in OHIO.  Got a couple of packages from them- good quality bees.  got Russians.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 07:13:45 am »
... only one of them has bees left, but they won't ship  out until may 18, or the week after that. I think that sounds kind of late....what do you all think?
Not late at all. Typically if you buy locally produced bees in our climate, they're not available until late May, even early June. Also, as jdpro5010 suggested, check for local producers - contact local beekeeping clubs and see if anyone has nucs to sell, or if anyone ordered more bees than they need. Since bee orders are usually made before we know what our winter losses are, if a beek's winter losses were less than expected, he/she might have ordered more packages/nucs than they need.

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:04:30 am »
I don't know if this guy can help, he sells packages on ebay all the time. Maybe if you email him he can help you sooner... Only thing is he is expensive. DISCLAIMER: I have never dealt with this guy so I have no idea what kind of a business man he is. http://cgi.ebay.com/FREE-SHIPPING-3LB-PACKAGE-BEES-WITH-QUEEN-BEEKEEPING_W0QQitemZ200334527793QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Farm_Supplies?hash=item200334527793&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Offline Damonh

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34:56 am »
try waldo apiaries in OHIO.  Got a couple of packages from them- good quality bees.  got Russians and Italians and they are good bees. He gets his packages from a southern beekeeper and he has good packages.

George Taylor
PO Box 122
Kilbourne, Ohio 43032
Office      740-524-6241
Cell         740-815-7792
Tavern    740-726-9822   

I usually pick mine up at the tavern, Get lunch, quench my thirst and am on my way home :-D

Offline deerhunter

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 11:43:53 am »
What part of Ohio you from ?

Get with a local bee keeper the swarms should be starting soon and some of them will be kind enought to give you a swarm or sell you one ?

I gave away 4 swarms myself last year.

Offline mlewis48

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 12:53:31 pm »
  I have to agree, give George a call. I got 15 packages from him last year. They did fine. If you are my neck of the woods and can't find any, we could start a nuc for you or I could hook you up with a swarm. That season is not too far away.
                                          Marc
" Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get"

Offline artsie26

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 11:18:25 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas and numbers.........I'm gonna make a few calls tomorrow. I'm so relieved to know that it won't be to late to get them.

Marc- I'm in portage county....between Cleveland and Akron....are we close?

I'll let you guys know what I come up with. Thanks again!!!!
            artsie

Offline Need2BEE

• New Bee
  • God Bless America
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:14:05 am »
noble in Ca. has some

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 02:34:02 am »
You might try Walter T. Kelley Co. out in KY they are gonna ship mine on the 6th but they had another ship date.  I don't know if all the orders are filled but can't hurt to call and ask.  I will say they are expensive though i only ordered that cause i had a gift certificate  :roll: what the person was thinking i'll never know.  I could have got 3 swarms if it had of been to somewhere else for about the same money.  oooh well can't complain i've got 70.25 in 2 swarms though.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!