Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lets follow the bloom 2014  (Read 25159 times)

Offline NotactJack

• House Bee
Re: Lets follow the bloom 2014
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2014, 01:05:41 am »
Laredo Texas mesquite and prickly pear are blooming
facebook.com/laredobees

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." -Mark Twain

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2014, 04:56:18 am »
Holly in NE Florida. Bees are all over it. Sounds like there is a swarm of bees in the Holly tree.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2014, 11:03:07 am »
Dandelions, cherry trees, apple trees are just starting, Bradford pears last week, my two hardy almonds are in full bloom along with my nectarine trees.  All this blooming just in time for this cold snap tonight.  Lows predicted for 28 degrees tonight.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 02:58:11 pm »
all of my clover is coming in finally.  ball, crimson and yellow.  blackberries are still blooming, laurels ares still blooming and some kind of tall weed with blue flowers that the bees seem to like.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 05:47:23 pm »
Blackberries are in full bloom.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline brooklynbees

• New Bee
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2014, 03:30:12 pm »
Seems no one is chiming in from NY - specifically NYC - so I thought I'd add a note.

Up to three weeks ago we had nothing.  Then witch hazel bloomed..then the croci and a few narcissus came out.

This week we've had the cherry, crabapple and apricot trees bloom, though it's been rainy and cold so I don't see much bee activity on them.
Flowers: we still with crocus, daffodils and hyacinths. A few dandelions are starting to push up leaves and in sunny, sheltered areas, I saw a few small blooms. No other blooming weeds. The city tends to be an ecological wasteland and monoculture of non-native plantings, so I've had to feed syrup for quite a while the last two springs before my garden got up and running.

Last week the maple trees were budding out and today, I see that their flowers have opened; the oaks and plane tree buds are just starting to swell. No holly, privet or anything else I can see.

We tend to be a bit cooler here on the south side of Brooklyn than perhaps inland because of our proximity to the ocean and steady harbor breezes, and this winter's weather was unbelieveably snowy, wet and variable. Last weekend it was in the mid-50's then it dropped to the 30's. Even though the weather service says it's 47 degrees today, I see that the girls are out of the hive and flying around in the sun, but it's nippy - definitely still coat weather.

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:39 am »
dewberries, blackberries, wild cherry trees, WISTERIA, that tall weed with the blue flowers that was mentioned earlier, dandelions, crimson clover all over the shoulders of the roads...
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2014, 01:08:13 pm »
I was at a back gate opening it an hour after dawn. A bee landed on my hand. Looked around and found what think is black gum (tupelo).
Blackberry is still in full bloom. Saw a lot of gallberry buds and one bush had a few flowers. A lot of it is still just starting to make tiny pin head sized buds.
Holly is still in bloom. The ones in bloom last week are almost done but new ones are starting.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2014, 01:30:45 pm »
catalpa/paulownia trees.  i've seen some of both in and around town.

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2014, 12:55:04 am »
What kind of hollies are blooming where you're at in Florida?
Also, Catalpas are blooming here in GA, now? I live in Thomson, GA.

There are bookoos of American Holly trees in the woods around here--privet as well and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for when they come into bloom! Reckon I'd better be oogling the hollies tomorrow! [=

OH also tons of white clover (maybe ladino or dutch?) is in bloom all over the place..
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2014, 08:58:14 am »
Not sure what type they are. They were in my front yard when I bought the farm. The bees sure do like them.

Clover is also blooming here.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2014, 09:48:19 pm »
NW Elmore County, AL  I saw tulip poplar blooming 4 or 5 days ago. Iris' probably 2 weeks now.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2014, 10:24:12 pm »
this year is way off from what i remember last year.  blackberries still haven't all bloomed and clover is just opening up good, tulip poplars have just started putting on leaves in the last week or so.  last year the blackberries and clover were about done, the poplars were blooming.  seems like the privet opened around the last week of april and was gone by may 15th.  then it was pretty much over until goldenrod.

Offline hvac professor

• House Bee
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2014, 08:00:52 pm »
Well the girls have been bringing in pollen for 2 weeks now, not sure if they went to dollar general, but they were loaded coming in. Poplar trees have been budded for a couple of weeks, not all of them but many, I saw a few dandelions today in my travels. There are small white and purple flowers on the ground in the wooded areas, maple trees starting to open up. I live an hour north of Albany so. I am surprised no one else has commented from this area.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2014, 11:03:07 pm »
Greybeard turned white in Montgomery - no fragrance yet

Also in Elmore county - turning white. I've heard it called Greybeard, clancey greybeard, and yancey greybeard.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #95 on: April 25, 2014, 10:25:07 pm »
Montgomery - Confederate Jasmine, Honeysuckle, and Privet is starting to break out white blooms in a few micro climate areas.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2014, 05:33:06 am »
poplars are starting in columbus/phenix city.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2014, 10:51:17 am »
privet is open in town this morning.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2014, 01:34:59 pm »
59405  3600 feet above sea level   Dandelions blooming in sheltered locations and soon to be generally in bloom.  Spring ten degrees below average.  Some maples stating to bloom.  A pear tree in neighbors yard close to bloom.  It is all going to explode here any day now.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2014, 06:27:58 pm »
First Dandelions here, maples are almost finished.