Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: requeen a swarm?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline dp

• House Bee
requeen a swarm?
« on: April 25, 2011, 12:11:48 am »
Not very clear on swarms.  Got two swarms this week.  Isn't the queen that leaves with a swarm an "old" queen?  Is it best to requeen that hive as soon as possible, or do you let the bees take care of that?  Maybe you just keep and eye on it and see how the new queen lays eggs?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: requeen a swarm?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 12:45:46 am »
Let her go until you know that she needs a good pinching!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 05:57:08 am »
>Not very clear on swarms.  Got two swarms this week.  Isn't the queen that leaves with a swarm an "old" queen?

The first swarm.  Yes.  The next one, no.

> Is it best to requeen that hive as soon as possible, or do you let the bees take care of that?

I never do.

>  Maybe you just keep and eye on it and see how the new queen lays eggs?

Odds are the bees will replace her soon enough if she needs to be.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 12:43:21 pm »
I have been catching swarms this month and I have not requeened any of them.  Now I did get on 6 days ago and they are freaking grumpy bees.  I will requeen this have this week, that is if I can even find her.  I am not 100% certain that she is in there.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:03:28 pm »
Never waste a good queen now.    The hive will replace her if needed.   Or you can replace her in the fall during your requeening with the rest of your hives. 

Offline ordka

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 08:44:09 pm »
My Neighbor, fellow beekeeper, had an extra queen coming tomorrow and asked me if I wanted to requeen the swarm we picked up a month ago.  I had intended to requeen it later in the summer or fall, but thought it a good opportunity to do it.  I got into the hive this morning and after looking at every frame found her and pinched her.  I left her in the bottom of the hive.  The new queen should arrive tomorrow.  I have seen so many different opinions on how long to wait until putting the new queen in, it is really just up to the individual beekeeper.  I am just waiting 24 hrs before putting the queen in.  I felt pretty bad pinch the old queen.  She seemed to be doing okay.  lots of capped brood an larva...although I think the lay patterns was a bit sporadic.  I am crossing my fingers that they will take well to the new queen.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 09:26:00 pm »
don't think i would have left her, but.....

i don't replace swarm queens.  i don't see any reason to kill any queen that's doing a good job and the hive is not nasty.  + my goal is to keep survivor hives.  most of the time you don't know where a swarm comes from, but you do know it didn't come out of a package  ;). 

i don't see any reason to rush the release of a queen.  i have even been known to forget that i put one in there....for a week or so.....

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 09:07:53 am »
Overnight is perfect.  I would just put her in a nuc.  You never know when you'll wish you had a laying queen around.  Delivery of queens is iffy at best.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 11:44:09 pm »
I agree, I would not have left the old queen in the hive.  I also would have moved her to a nuc with a frame or two of bees.  If you have the space to add a nuc.
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline Danger Brown

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 01:50:35 am »
I'd feel pretty guilty too about pinching a queen. Haven't done it yet beeing I'm fairly new. But I certainly don't like the thought of it.

Offline ordka

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 11:36:39 am »
Update - the hive took well to the new queen.   I got in last night and saw eggs and very busy bees.

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:24:01 pm »
I hived a swarm last month and the queen is doing very poorly, although she is a good looker. They have capped brood that is looking very good, but very little larvae, and absolutely NO eggs. She will be pinched next Tues., and replaced next Weds.

Offline ordka

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:33 pm »
Yep.  Sounds like the time for a good pinch.  Good Luck!

Offline Danger Brown

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 01:37:56 pm »
Good job Ordka!