Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB, I have to be on my toes now.  (Read 1208 times)

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
SHB, I have to be on my toes now.
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:07:56 pm »
My latest cut out colony needs watching. Brought them in Friday evening, this morning's check found a half a dozen or so live adult beetles herded into the corners of the bottom board and a decent sized mass of small beetle larvae on the bottom board. The bees were really riding herd on the little bastards and had them corraled. I even watched one fly off with one.
I smashed everything in sight and swapped out bottom boards to get the larvae out of the hive. I figured I might have an issue since this cut out had a comb collapse and beetles and a very small amount of larvae were observed in the original location. Of course it didn't help that I did not get the queen and they failed to use the eggs that came with them to make a new mama. Slipped them a frame of eggs from my donor hive.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: SHB, I have to be on my toes now.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:18:54 pm »
Check them EVERY day. Most of the cutouts that I loose are a result of SHB.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:57:43 pm »
Beetles can smell a queenless hive and love them to death.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 08:03:53 pm »
Keep them as crowded as possible to minimize the area they have to defend. If they are making a new queen and have lots of cells you will have to be careful that they don't issue a virgin swarm. In this case it might make sense to scratch out all but 1-2 cells.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything