Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: amazing quilt box discovery.  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
amazing quilt box discovery.
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:26:09 pm »
Opened up my hive today to put jar feeders on. I wintered in two deeps with a mediun box I made into a quilt box. A cotton t-shirt stapled to the bottom with straw and pine shavings inside. The inner cover over that and the top.

When I pulled the inner cover water was literally pouring off! The quilt matetial was very dry!

Im a new beek, but I know they wouldn't have survived with that kind of condensation.

The only issue I can see, but it didnt effect their survival. Is early in the winter, on warmer days when I took a peak, they were
really congregating on top near the quilt. Maybe for the warmth?

Worried about them being up top, I kept dry sugar on the back half of the top frames but they never touched it.

On a side note. Those bees get pretty mean when you open them up in the spring.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: amazing quilt box discovery.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:57:09 am »
Bees like the open area to cluster in.  Are they getting outside forage now?  AS soon as mine do they quit the dry sugar instantly.  Before they find fodder, they eat the sugar.  If no outside feed coming in and they aren't working the sugar, you might be queenless.

Offline Psparr

• Field Bee
Re: amazing quilt box discovery.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 07:50:52 am »
They have been bringing in pollen for a few weeks now. I put syrup on a week ago and replaced yesterday. They are taking it well. Havevno idea where the pollen is coming from though. Have been in a deep freeze all winter.

anything