Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Found Dead Queen  (Read 1527 times)

Offline ChippewaBee

• New Bee
Found Dead Queen
« on: June 08, 2007, 02:04:37 pm »
Yesterday I went out and found my queen dead outside the hive.  Today I did a inspection on the hive and found two supercedure cells opened.  There are very small larve in the cells but I didn't find any freshly laid eggs.  How long should I give the hive before I try to requeen myself?  I didn't see any of the new queens in the hive today but my hive is probraly twice the size it was a couple of weeks ago.  Any help would be appreciated.
"There are lies, darned lies and statistics."
Mark Twain

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Found Dead Queen
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:17:18 pm »
Sounds as if the workers killed the queen just as the new ones were hatching--fairly common in a supercedure situation.  I would think that you should see evidence of the new queens activity in  about 2 weeks.  3-5 days before mating and then a week to 10 days from the begining of mating to laying eggs.  You should find that most of the freshest larvae will be near hatching by the time the new queen goes into production.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline ChippewaBee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 07:54:10 pm »
Alright I will report back in about 2 weeks with what I have found.  Hopefully the bees millons of years of experiance will prevail. :-D
"There are lies, darned lies and statistics."
Mark Twain

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 08:04:39 pm »
From when the old queen died until you get a new queen (small larvae would indicate it just happened) it will be 24 days on the average until you have a laying queen.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything