Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Changing plastic to Wax  (Read 1523 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
Changing plastic to Wax
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:10:33 am »
I think my plastic foundation fears have gotten the best of me.  I got some first hand horror stories at the Bee workshop in Wooster, OH.  One lady had them making comb in between frames and in the empty space of her feeder can area. 

So, my question.  Can you take apart the frames that I have and put all wax foundation in?  Does anyone have pics of this process?  I am a newbee and have no experience with this.

Also, what would one do if faced with comb built in between frames?

Thanks.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Changing plastic to Wax
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:24:26 am »
>I think my plastic foundation fears have gotten the best of me.  I got some first hand horror stories at the Bee workshop in Wooster, OH.  One lady had them making comb in between frames and in the empty space of her feeder can area.

If you don't leave empty space (such as around the can) which you shouldn't do anyway, and if you crowd the frames together (ten frames tightly in the center of a ten frame box) and if there is wax on the plastic (or you rub some beeswax on it) they will do fine.

>So, my question.  Can you take apart the frames that I have and put all wax foundation in?

If you like.  I wouldn't unless you have some reason you don't like the cell size.  I'd prefer small cell...

> Does anyone have pics of this process?

Just pop out the plastic, pop in some wax and use a Wax Tube Fastener to anchor the top of the foundation.  See Linda's blog for more info on that.

>Also, what would one do if faced with comb built in between frames?

You cut it out and tie it into frames if it has brood in it.  Otherwise just tear it out and throw it in a bucket to harvest the wax on or on the ground for them to clean up.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything