Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sunrise and hives  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
Sunrise and hives
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:59:49 am »
These are my hives at sunrise on the North York Moors. I'm hoping for heather honey from the ling heather (Calluna vulgaris). They'll stay here for a good month and I'll collect them at the beginning of September. Last years harvest was terrible and I only got 23Ibs. It was very wet. But this August has been fairly decent weather so my hopes are up. I use British nationals which have great hand holds for lifting - good for shifting onto the moors. It's not very often that I'm up at sunrise, but as I left at 3am to get my bees in place, I was lucky to witness the sun rising up above the moors. My only companions were a flock of sheep and several grouse.

Andrew

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Re: Sunrise and hives
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:39:21 am »
That is a glorius view Andrew

Mick

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:14:21 am »
That is a beautiful picture
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 10:30:50 am »
Nice!

Alfred

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 07:18:32 pm »
This is the photo that I actually wanted to post...this shows all my hives - that's two nucs in the middle.

Andrew

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:18:11 pm »
Oh my!!! I guess the word to describe this would be ethereal. Just a beautiful mood piece.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:21:34 pm »
Love it. :)

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
North York Moors today
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 01:50:14 pm »
I was up on the moors today. The heather was still in full bloom. Very beautiful.

Andrew

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 02:50:19 pm »
I just love Heather and the purple field.  Keep it up Andrew

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 02:52:38 pm »
I dated a girl named heather once. I'll bet your honey's a lot sweeter than mine was! :-D
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 05:22:23 pm »
Actually it's rather bitter sweet.

Andrew

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 12:11:19 am »
Nice views Bees!
 I have a question tho...Ive heard of the "Moors" for years and years....What is "Moors" ?
I always thought it was something near water for some reason. :)

your friend,
john

Offline Bees-in-Art

• House Bee
    • Bees in Art
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 04:23:51 am »
That's an interesting question John. In Britain moorland is an area of high ground (admittedly not very high: maybe 1000 feet +), that is uncultivated. But being a literary lot the British have typically turned the term 'moor' into something rather dark and portentous. You only have to think of 'Wuthering Heights' and 'The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes)", to see what I mean. And before we carved our moors up with roads and tarmac, they were extremely inaccessible. Which is why the Cornish still feel as though they are a separate country: The granite masses of Dartmoor, Exmoor and Bodmin Moor loom between the South West and the rest of England.

Beekeepers are interested in the moors because they are now managed for grouse shooting. This is because heather is encouraged to grow, as the grouse feed on heather shoots. The heather is encouraged by yearly burning, which promotes new growth and kills off competing vegetation.

Andrew

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 07:03:12 pm »
Thanks Andrew!
That was a great lesson!..Now I know! :)
your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 11:23:57 am »
Andrew, consider yourself fortunate that you were in that area as the sun was rising, you have such a beautiful photograph of the sun coming over the mountain. I love the time before the sun rises, that dawn, and then the sun rays as they peak over the mountain top.  It holds a very special feeling in my heart when I see and feel the sun begin to show its beautiful face.  Thank you for sharing and taking us to this part of your world.  Have that most awesomely beautiful day, love life, love health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service