Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Recently bought hives  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
Recently bought hives
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:10:13 pm »
I recently bought a few 10frames hives-upon inspection last wk i've noticed 4-5frames drawn out in each,inspection yesterday havnt really shown much difference and one hive is Queenless(i've added 2 frames with eggs/brood)....
Would it be best to tranfer these hives to nuc boxes since 50% of frames remains untouched plus to prevent infestation by parasites or jus remove few frames leaving only one empty or should i just be a bit more patient and see what the difference will be like after a month?? :-\
I'll definately be checking in after a week to see if Queenless hive is rearing a new queen.
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Recently bought hives
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:07:11 pm »
I would put feeders on them until they get crowed in the single boxes. These maybe be splits and nucs that were put into single boxes to build up. What time of year is it where you are?

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 02:31:11 pm »
Yeah figured they were either splits or nucs,guess experience will prove how long they'll take to fill those 10frame hive huh....Well it's tropical condition here in the caribbean so the difference in seasons aren't that pronounced..I've been told main honey flow season is June to Sept tho
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:51:32 pm »
UPDATE: Made another check on queenless hive mentioned in earliest post and have noticed quite a few queen cells,guess these would be referred to as "emergency queen cells" right??Well both frames that i had introduced a week ago now have queen cells on them capped and uncapped-Can only pray for the best now..
*Checked another of the hives i had bought an noticed approx. 3 queen cells,combs just over 50% drawn out,I noticed larvae at all stages but NO eggs so right now i'm thinking the queen may have died or somthing.Plan to make another check in 2wks.
** Good thing is,no Parasite was seen this time around-might have overlooked but still breathing a sigh of relief

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 12:51:54 am »
Yep, sounds like these were fresh splits you got. And yep again, check back in a couple to three weeks. They should do fine if there is population and stores enough in them.

anything