Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: swarm #16 at vacherie school  (Read 2202 times)

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
swarm #16 at vacherie school
« on: April 05, 2013, 12:35:25 am »
went to Vacherie elementary school because they had bees inside the school and classrooms.after checking I had a good feeling it was scout bees.walked around the school and found where they were entering.that classroom had the most bees so I new they were coming in somewhere around it.there was a 6 inch pipe that drains water off the roof that runs the length of the school inside a drop ceiling and exit out the side of the building.bingo,there they were going inside and getting lost lol.well sealed it up and vac the bees in the school.happy teachers.yesterday went back to put another coat of sealent .a teacher said she saw a ball of bees on the fence about 100yrds from the school.the swarm wasn't big but put them in a nuc.the school 's happy,im happy and the bees are happy too :-D      schawee

BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: swarm #16 at vacherie school
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 06:25:26 am »
Makes me wonder, are school bees smarter bees?   Good catch. 

Moots

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:08:52 am »
Nice catch Schawee....I'm sure those bees appreciate your getting them inside that warm Nuc box before the temperature dropped.   :)
It was down right cold last night, I know my thermometer was reading in the upper 40's, but it sure felt colder than that!  

I'm sure our Northern friends will get a kick out of me complaining about those kind of temperatures!  :-D

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:23 am »
What's in the bottle hanging on the fence Schawee? How did you get them off the fence? Did you shake the fence or did they just walk in? Sry for the 21 questions, but I have heard people say that bees will land on fence post a lot and just curious on what is the best way to get them moving... 
Marshall

Moots

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:52:53 am »
What's in the bottle hanging on the fence Schawee? How did you get them off the fence? Did you shake the fence or did they just walk in? Sry for the 21 questions, but I have heard people say that bees will land on fence post a lot and just curious on what is the best way to get them moving... 

B,
I'll give it a try and Schawee can correct me if I'm wrong...  :)

I'm going to say that's sugar water in the bottle, you can spray a little on the frames and/or foundation in the Nuc as an enticement, or a little directly on the bees.  Although, I've also seen people use a little soapy water in a bottle to spray on whatever the bees may have been on to discourage their returning and lighting on it.  If you use both...Don't get your bottles confused!  :) 

As to getting them off the post....I would have vacuumed those little suckers up!  Although, I may have had a problem finding a receptacle close by.  :?

Schawee on the other hand, being a pro...I'm thinking he found and caged the queen, put her in the box, and let the rest of the little ladies figure it out and march on in.  :-D

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 11:47:18 am »
no.9 in the box here baby
to bee or not to bee

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:21:48 pm »
I'm going to get passed if my calls don't restart. Oh well.  Knew it was going to happen.
Good catch. I'm seeing scouts but no takers yet.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 10:32:34 pm »
bud your catchin up.now when I get up there Monday do the swarms we catch count as yours ,mine or ours as far as swarm count :-D  plan b  that's sugar water.the rain just stoped an hour before I got there.rained all night and half the day makes them pissy.a lil sugar water on them makes them happy.i took a couple of hand full of bees and placed them in the box .they started to fan and the rest came down the post.     schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 11:13:14 pm »
Real cool schawee,

Thanks for posting pictures. I drive a lot and have been watching for swarms and just hung my swarm trap. I only have the one so far. :) Put a little lemon grass oil in it and hoping it will work.

Thanks again,

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 08:11:36 am »
shawee man you know i dont care; all this old fat boy wants is the bees and enjoy my friends
to bee or not to bee

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 03:23:13 pm »
Thanks for the info Schawee.
Marshall

anything