Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Someone said, "Save the Honey Bee"  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Random Line

• Brood
Someone said, "Save the Honey Bee"
« on: May 24, 2008, 09:52:27 am »
  And that's about all I know about that. Early May, 2008, Here I begin with 5 hives on the shore of a small lake on the western edge of the tall grass prairie in north central, SD. Two colonies are 3# packages from Georgia that arrived via US Mail,about 6 days in transit, about out of syrup but in remarkable shape.  The other three colonies came about the same time from an area migratory beekeeper.  These were 5 frame nu cs incorporated in Texas and are multiplying like mad at the moment.
      I am a retired civil engineer with no particular "bee" knowledge planning to manage this hobby with what can be learned from the experts through forms such as this one, hopfully a measure of good fortune and the experience accrued over time.  (Ever mindful of the old saying, " Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else")
      Having said all of that, please bear with me if I ask a "newbie" question once in a while.

Random Line

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
Re: Someone said, "Save the Honey Bee"
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:01:08 pm »
Congrats on your choice of the "Worlds Best Hobby" and your acquisition of Bees.  You are now a Beek!  You sound a lot like us.  We're also (US Army) retired.  We now run the family farm.  Got our first Bees just 25 days ago and are up to two hives, and two Nucs with Bees.  Had our first problem today, Robber Bees!  A week ago our first Nuc looked So Good.  Had a lot of activity, Bees bringing in pollen, nector, etc..  To much activity I guess.  Robber Bees cleaned out the feeder and bothered the Nuc's Bees so much that today only a hand full of them are left.  Late today I think we'll combine whats left with the second Nuc.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Someone said, "Save the Honey Bee"
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:45:08 am »
RandomLine.  Welcome to our forum.  This WILL be the place that you can lean on your new forum friends for advice, you will have questions, never consider a question dumb, that is how we all learn, and the learning process never ends.  Life is for living and learning.  Ask, you will always get great answers, this is important for you, others and us too, we are a helpful bunch of people.  We also love to hear stories and tales from the hive, tell us your experiences.  Having ears to listen to our stories makes it all worth while, and we be them.  Have that most beautiful day, lovin' and livin' this life we all share. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything