Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee's in southern Ohio  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Nett

• New Bee
Newbee's in southern Ohio
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:51:05 am »
I've been mostly watching for awhile now and reading for hours and hours.
DH started out as a beehaver with one hive about 3 years ago. When he saw there was trouble in the hive (it was too late to save it) I started researching and kind of became obcessed with bees. I'd wake up in the middle of the night thinking bees and about what I'd read that day!!!

Now we're a team. I do most of the researching and he's mostly hands on. Sometimes when I'm standing there watching I want to get right in the hive too. I'm sure I will one day!

We also attend our local bee meetings now even though we have to drive 45 to 50 miles.

We got a crash course on beekeeping in a few days but know we'll never know all there is to know and the more we learn the more we realize we need to learn!

If it wasn't for all the knowledgable people on the forums we would've given up when we lost the first hive. We now have two hives we're hoping will make it through the winter (if they don't it won't be because we didn't do everything possible for them) and plan to start up three more this spring. This is only a hobby for us (mainly to help increase the bee populations) but we do hope to get a little honey for personal use and a little to sell to offset cost.

One of my daughters ask me one day how much is there to learn about bees and how long it took to learn everything. I told her I wouldn't live long enough to learn all there is to know about them.

We're retired and like to garden as much as our 3 acres and wore out bodies allow. We like to feed and watch the birds too. We want to give back to nature as much as we can.

When you don't know you feel so dumb and helpless but it's so wonderful to have so many great teachers. Thanks for being here for us and the many others like us.
Nett

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Newbee's in southern Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »
Welcome......

How much there is to know about beekeeping is like how much is there to know about the internet.

It keeps evolving so fast, by the time you learn something, it has passed and there's something new for you to learn. It never ends.

Have fun and hang in there. It is a great hobby.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 01:28:17 pm »
Nett, nice introduction of yourself.  Welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us.  As you have seen, there is a wealth of information here on our forum, and you are enjoying studying and reading, that is good.  You will find this a very friendly community, with people that are always willing to help, stick around.  You will have a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences.  Have a wonderful and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:25:02 pm »
Hello and Welcome Nett
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 04:22:29 pm »
Welcome Nett from a fellow Ohioan!

Offline wadehump

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 05:18:36 pm »
where in southern ohio are you located and by the way welcome

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 08:01:06 am »
Welcome to the forum Nett.

Sounds like you are the perfect type beekeeper.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

anything