Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What is a fair amount of yard rent honey?  (Read 5234 times)

Offline jeremy37

• New Bee
    • J & T Garden and Beekeeping
What is a fair amount of yard rent honey?
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:57:22 pm »
Just curious what does everyone give for yard rent honey for places that host your colonies?  We are looking to expand our apiary and I have no idea how much honey would be in order to give to farmers for hosting our hives.  I would think 3-5 lbs for whatever number of colonies that the property would sustain per year.  Do I sound to far off?   Our selling point is the free pollination and not the honey so hopefully most people understand that, LOL  Please let me know what you think....

Offline beemused

• New Bee
Re: What is a fair amount of yard rent honey?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:46:18 pm »
I have only been asked once up front about honey for rent and that was from a landowner who called me wanting a hive placed for pollination. Go figure---. I usually give a quart jar for a minimum. Depends on the production. Most are very happy to get it and never expect it.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline millermann1972

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:36:54 pm »
in virginia people are going crazy wanting hives so i havent run into anyone wanting payment for me putting hives on there property. one property owner will not let me give him honey, he pays for it like everyone else.  :-D

Offline Daddys Girl

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:09:07 pm »
I had one farmer 'graciously' offer to place a hive on their property in return for a substantial quantity of honey for the 'favor'.

OTOH, I have another landowner who has offered me run of 120 acres to place a hive for the bother of doing it.  You can guess where the hive is going to go.  Heh.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 09:19:45 pm »
I have my hives on a commercial tree farm. The owners of the farm buy all that I will sell them(at a fair price). They have a store in town, they apply their farm label and resell it as a product of their farm. I always give them some extra for their table.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 09:36:22 pm »
I was looking for some land just in case my wife said to get rid of the bese. So far she does not even really know how many bees are out in the yard. Anyway, I found a land owner and he asked how much honey will a hive produce. I thought that was a little odd for him to ask. He then said he wanted 1/3 of the honey produced to keep the bees on his land.  :evil: Sure hope my wife doesnt mmake me choose between her and the bees. Sure wood have to learn how to cook in a hurry.  :-D

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:40:20 pm »
 I think it depends on who is getting the most benefit. Being forced to to pay any amount to someone that gets pollination on crops that need it from your bees is not fair. In my area that would be watermelon and cantelope. Citrus on the other hand benefits the beekeeper more than the grove owner. I have spent the last 2 Sat. mornings with a couple of grove owners. Both got a pint up front just for consideration. The one that I chose due to health, proximity, and upkeep of the grove was surprised to get it. It's also fenced in and he gave me a key to the gate. It's more beneficial to me than him due the nature of citrus so he will get more if I do. At least a couple of of quarts. The bad part for me is that I live next to orange groves, but they are so freeze damaged there is going to be no nectar.
 Anytime we pay someone to pollinate a crop that needs bees only hurts us. Especially the commercials.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 10:50:23 pm »
I give 2lbs of honey per hive for rent but if they need more I usually give it to them If I am able
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 11:14:15 pm »
I can see giving a little to them for a reciprocation, but paying for the use of there land , not a chance, polinators get 50.00 per week, per hive, to place them and no free honey. your doing them a service more than other way around. JMHO

Of course when or if I need more land I could change that opinion, however I do have a location that will take as many hives as I want to place. No charge, of course I will give him a nice helping of honey.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 12:15:42 am »
I give a jar or two of honey depending on the amount of hives.  Most are glad to get the pollination.  The last guy I set hives on wanted to buy honey.  I think most realize the benefit of bees.  One of my best out yards is near a vineyard.  Its a two way street with individuals I am dealing with.  Just my .02.

David

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 12:24:24 am »
I was looking for some land just in case my wife said to get rid of the bese. So far she does not even really know how many bees are out in the yard. Anyway, I found a land owner and he asked how much honey will a hive produce. I thought that was a little odd for him to ask. He then said he wanted 1/3 of the honey produced to keep the bees on his land.  :evil: Sure hope my wife doesnt mmake me choose between her and the bees. Sure wood have to learn how to cook in a hurry.  :-D

Shawn, this landowner that wants 1/3 of your honey, don't entertain that idea my friend, its not a fair deal unless he was paying you to pollenate his crops.

My friend doesn't ask for anything but I usually give him a gallon per year.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline metzelplex

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 03:18:07 am »
  In my permanent yards I keep 32 boxes per yard the only time they aren't there is when they are pollinating or on a honey flow I give them a case of 24  one pound jars in the fall and they are happy as heck. that's only 2 gallons of honey per yard . If I had bigger yards like 64 or more I might give them a couple of cases of mason quart jars . Hope this helps .     Metzelplex

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 11:42:15 am »
An old business owner that I know told me to never "give" product away for free.  Work an exchange or request some reasonable price for your product.  His rational was that if you give your product away for free, people will get the idea that it's not worth anything!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 12:52:07 pm »
Dont worry Jp I think I lost the idea when he said it and it went straight from one ear out the other. I know some people are just that way, always trying to scam their way into a business. I know he would have taken the honey and turned around and sold it to other poeple. I talked to another farmer, someone I know, trust, but dont really talk to on a day to day or week to week basis. he found out I was starting bees and when I went and asked for permision to hunt his farm he said I was welcome to bring the bees out and put them any where on the farm. He even said he would provide a water supply and keep an eye on them. I know a commercial keeper takes 20 hives out to his place but he makes him put them on the far south end of the property, total property is maybe 500 to 600 acres. It amazes me how people are so different, one wanting to take and the other willing to give you his shirt if you have none. I see it every day on the job.  :'(

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 01:01:12 pm »
I like the second guy much better Shawn!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 02:50:58 pm »
Just curious what does everyone give for yard rent honey for places that host your colonies?  We are looking to expand our apiary and I have no idea how much honey would be in order to give to farmers for hosting our hives.  I would think 3-5 lbs for whatever number of colonies that the property would sustain per year.  Do I sound to far off?   Our selling point is the free pollination and not the honey so hopefully most people understand that, LOL  Please let me know what you think....

Jeremy37,

It is beneficial for you to reveal your location so that Beekeepers who are on this board can better mentor you if they are in your area.  :-D

Small farmers who grow cucumber, squash, eggplant, etc. that do not hire pollinators will be tickled to host your bees. I found one that allows me to overwinter on his farm. I also give them a gallon of honey to enjoy. Good Luck  :-D

Offline jeremy37

• New Bee
    • J & T Garden and Beekeeping
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 05:24:38 pm »
Hey Everyone, thanks for the responses,  I have not really had a chance to look over them until now.  Wow Beehopper never realized my profile information was missing but I am located in East Central Indiana.  We have been beekeeping over 8 years and are seeing our land as well as some of our families land reach their capacities as far as bee out yards.  We have ran an ad locally on Craigslist looking for ground to help up our honey production and a couple of the responses we got were people wanting to know how much "yard rent honey" since I offered that in my posting as a goodwill gesture for land use and access.  Most people are aware of the bee shortage and the value of honeybees but some responses were people wanting payment for land or could work something out. (More than likely in their best interest, LOL)  I do appreciate all the responses and I have been a lurker on these forums for a long time and saw the need to start asking some questions.  I love all the topics and questions that all the beekeepers can learn from.  I don't think there is a forum quite like this one on the internet as far as the vastness of information.  I have a real good feel for what is appropriate amount of" yard rent honey" now through all the postings.  The one poster who said the farmer wanted a 1/3 of his honey crop I think I would have laughed when he told me that, LOL.  At least to us, our bees being located on the land owners property is more of value then all the honey I could give them in a harvest and that is kind of my standpoint, but I will gladly give some honey to the appreciative farmer who host our colonies for us.  Thanks, Jeremiah

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 05:32:41 pm »
Hey Everyone, thanks for the responses,  I have not really had a chance to look over them until now.  Wow Beehopper never realized my profile information was missing but I am located in East Central Indiana.  We have been beekeeping over 8 years and are seeing our land as well as some of our families land reach their capacities as far as bee out yards.  We have ran an ad locally on Craigslist looking for ground to help up our honey production and a couple of the responses we got were people wanting to know how much "yard rent honey" since I offered that in my posting as a goodwill gesture for land use and access.  Most people are aware of the bee shortage and the value of honeybees but some responses were people wanting payment for land or could work something out. (More than likely in their best interest, LOL)  I do appreciate all the responses and I have been a lurker on these forums for a long time and saw the need to start asking some questions.  I love all the topics and questions that all the beekeepers can learn from.  I don't think there is a forum quite like this one on the internet as far as the vastness of information.  I have a real good feel for what is appropriate amount of" yard rent honey" now through all the postings.  The one poster who said the farmer wanted a 1/3 of his honey crop I think I would have laughed when he told me that, LOL.  At least to us, our bees being located on the land owners property is more of value then all the honey I could give them in a harvest and that is kind of my standpoint, but I will gladly give some honey to the appreciative farmer who host our colonies for us.  Thanks, Jeremiah

Nice, Keep up the good work  :-D

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 08:28:05 pm »
I read somewhere that yard rend of 1 pound of honey per hive was traditional.  Is this still true?

Assuming:
1. The yard is not a farm, with no need of pollination
2. The beek approached the landowner not the other way around.

From reading the above posts, I think that 1-2 # per hive is appropriate.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

anything