Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: OUCH! and maybe (hoefully) free bees  (Read 3640 times)

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
OUCH! and maybe (hoefully) free bees
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:28:02 pm »
Spent last friday afternoon with my dental hygenist (hence the ouch) :roll: and we got to talking about my new found hobby, bees.

She told me that near her home there is an old home with a few hives in the back. The owners have passed away, and the hives have been unmanaged for probably 10 or so years. I of course asked if she knew wether or not there were still bees in the hives, but she dosent want a thing to do with bees, and has kept her distance.

I am going to take a ride out tomorrow and see what i can see from the road without trespassing (she has no idea if anyone owns the propertry, or if they would care that i walk in to see the bees :idunno: ). I will take my camera and a pair of binoculars to see what i can see, and perhaps knock on a neighbors door, to see if they think my venturing closer would be acceptable.

After 10 or more years of non-management, if there are bees in the hive(s), would they be considered "feral" or just some hardy suvivor stock? Either way, if i DO find bees, i will contact the township, perhaps they would want the bees removed, or have information on who i could contact about removing them.........i sure do want them if they are alive and healthy :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:42:32 pm by WayneW »
A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: OUCH! and maybe (hoefully) free bees
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:12:59 pm »
After 10 or more years of non-management, if there are bees in the hive(s), would they be considered "feral" or just some hardy suvivor stock?

probably both!  :-)

i will contact the township, perhaps they would want the bees removed,

if it were me, i'd find out who owns the property and contact them directly.  i never have very good luck getting the government involved.  who knows what hair brained rule might prevent you from taking the bees??
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 11:19:39 pm »
You can check with the assessors office or recorders office to find the owner information.
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:24:52 pm »
if it were me, i'd find out who owns the property and contact them directly.  i never have very good luck getting the government involved.  who knows what hair brained rule might prevent you from taking the bees??

The problem with contacting the owners is that i would need a Medium or Ghost Hunters. Acording to my source, they had no childern, and both have now passed away. I'm guessing here, but either the home is tied up in probate (some out of town family?) or, it's now owned by the township by default (emenient domain), or possibly a bank if there are any existing leans on the property. You're right about not getting local gvt involved, they may decide the bees are a hazzard, and destroy them rather than letting me take them. Perhaps a trip to the county courthouse and a look at the tax roles or deed would be a better way to porceed if all else fails.

@Bobb, our avatars look suprisingly similar :)

Offline Bobb

• House Bee
    • Honey Hive Farms
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:00:22 am »

@Bobb, our avatars look suprisingly similar :)
They do. These are my Bostons' Beau-de and Abby-jo
"Power, especially overgrown power, whets the ambition and sets all the wits to work to enlarge it. Therefore, encroachments on peoples liberties are not generally made all at once, but so gradually as hardly to be perceived by the less watchful; and all plastered over, it may be, with such plausible pretenses, that before they are aware of the snare, they are taken and can not disentangle themselves."

Samuel Webster
Massachusetts 1777

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 12:10:07 am »
Ours are Greater Swiss Mtn Dogs, the taller one is Dakota and his sister is Sheba, a real pair of clowns to be certain  :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:20:08 am »
might want to look into buying the property while you are at it.  bargains all about!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tlynn

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 12:30:28 am »
After 10 or more years of non-management, if there are bees in the hive(s), would they be considered "feral" or just some hardy suvivor stock? Either way, if i DO find bees, i will contact the township, perhaps they would want the bees removed, or have information on who i could contact about removing them.........i sure do want them if they are alive and healthy :)

Absolutely NOTHING good comes from getting the government involved.  Code enforcement will come out and cite the owners for having a property in disrepair, an insect infestation and who knows what else.  Your neighbors will be wondering what lousy neighbor called the city on them!

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 12:32:45 am »
Check with the probate clerk of the county.  See if the owners (as identified by tax records) have an estate open.  If so, the personal representatives will be listed in the filings with the court.  Contact them to get the bees.  Court approval may be ncecessary, but this is where you start.  The county may own the land, but I doubt it.  Eminent domain is where the government takes land (and must pay for it) for a public use.  The doctrine of escheat is the method by which the state acquires ownership of property of those with heirs when they die.  Until you check the probate court filings, you will not know.
Brian

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 01:01:11 am »
She told me that near her home there is an old home with a few hives in the back. The owners have passed away, and the hives have been unmanaged for probably 10 or so years. I of course asked if she knew wether or not there were still bees in the hives, but she dosent want a thing to do with bees, and has kept her distance.

Just be careful, I once serviced a hive like that and got stung  379 times.  The lady kept her husgands bees for a rememberance and hire me to put on a new super, the ist time in 5 years it had been touched.  Those bees would have made AHB look like pikers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 08:50:02 am »
Just be careful, I once serviced a hive like that and got stung  379 times.  The lady kept her husgands bees for a rememberance and hire me to put on a new super, the ist time in 5 years it had been touched.  Those bees would have made AHB look like pikers.

I was thinking they could be mean also, but i have a good full suit and gloves, if i even get to get near them. Todays trip is to get close enough to see if there are bees there at all. Im taking my video camera (it's got 20 x zoom) in case i cant get close enough to see if theres anything flying. It's goona be 60 here, so if there are surviving bees, they will definately be flying.

If there are bees, then i will be taking steps to find out about ownership etc.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 09:19:40 am »
sounds really super, llol no pun intended, keep us updated. count the stings. :evil:
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 11:50:25 pm »
Good luck on the rescue mission. It seems like the right thing to do for everyone involved.

Regards,
Tucker

He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 08:56:40 pm »
All this is good advise especially about getting the gov't involved. On the other hand it could be that the owners had allowed another beek to put his hives there and neighbors do not know of the arrangement. Unless they watch closely they may have missed visits. That is just a possibility but one that I know to have happened locally since I was the one called to remove them. I fortunately knew the other beek and relayed the information to those wanting the bees removed. He was amazed that neighbors were unaware of his maintenance. He moved the colony.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 09:46:15 pm »
 Just a thought, my county and several around me have GIS maps on the computer through the property appraisers site. I can find current property owners on them.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Saltcreek

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 05:27:55 pm »
The place to go is the County Auditor or whatever you call them in PA who collects the property taxes for your County. They have a record and address of the property owners to collect the taxes.