Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Double 5-Frame Nuc I Built Today  (Read 6332 times)

Offline DCHoneybees

• House Bee
    • DC Honeybees
Double 5-Frame Nuc I Built Today
« on: March 11, 2011, 06:12:33 pm »

Inspired by others with my own modifications, here is a nuc I built:

http://dchoneybees.blogspot.com/2011/03/nuc-building-part-2.html

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
Re: Double 5-Frame Nuc I Built Today
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 06:24:08 pm »
DC, that's cool!  My first thought was that you could stack three of those vertically, add queen excluder and viola, you have a simple way to make a two queen hive.  As you stack the supers on top, no divider necessary and you could have one gigantic towering inferno of honeybees. :)

...or you could just have two nice cozy nucs.

Kidding aside I think it's a great idea.  I see your modification of the deep hive body as a simple/effective way to start small packages.

Well done!

Offline DCHoneybees

• House Bee
    • DC Honeybees
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 06:40:53 pm »
Thanks for the positive reinforcement!

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:37:40 pm »
Very Nice
 can you tell me how you cut the Handles
they look above the norm (usful)

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline DCHoneybees

• House Bee
    • DC Honeybees
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:59:31 pm »
That is a Mann Lake box.  Their handles are a little different, I like them.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 09:39:13 am »
 :? Duh! Huh " Tommyt should look and read a bit more  :oops:
I do like the division board now don't tell me thats a kelly Product LOL

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 12:34:41 am »
I have some premade plastic dividers to section off a box.  I found that if I used them for mating nucs, I would often lose one of the virgin queens if I used a standard bottom board and the hive entrances were side by side.  It appears that you put separate entrances at opposite ends of the box - that's good.

I can't tell if the luan is flush with the top of the box or not.  If you are going to stack boxes with dividers, you will want to have the luan flush.  My plastic dividers stick up higher than the edge of the box (they seal a regular inner cover) but if I try to stack boxes, I end up with issues trying to seal the two sides from each other.  My experience is that the bees would find a way to join the two nucs together.  If you do stack the boxes, keep an eye on keeping the sides separated.

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:26:07 pm »
I seen one of these the other day and they had put a half inch by three quarter board around the bottom of the deep box to give the bees a place to walk in under the frames. It looks as if the frames will be setting on the bottom of the box. If you use a three quarter then you could use an entrance reducer cut down. Harold

Offline DCHoneybees

• House Bee
    • DC Honeybees
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 05:09:23 pm »
Wow, you made an excellent point that was a glaring oversight on my part.  I see two modifications I can make to remedy:

1) As I am going foundationless anyway would not the bees create their own bee-space between the bottom of the comb and the top level of the bottom bar?  Then all I would need to do is open the entrance enough so the sides of the frames leave ample space for entry and exit...OR I can use medium frames and let comb grow from the bottom of the bottom bar and let the bees find their own level.

2) Run a furring strip of some of the scrap 1/2 inch plywood (1 inch wide) around the perimeter of my bottom, along with a strip down the middle upon which the bottom of the luan sits to separate the chambers.  Voids in the furring at the short ends will then have to be made to create the two entrances (at opposite ends of the box).

Offline beehappy1950

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 08:56:46 pm »
I was just thinking that if you leave the frames sit on bottom you couldnt take them out and put them back without squishing bees. Maybe the queen.

Offline DCHoneybees

• House Bee
    • DC Honeybees
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:05 am »
I think that was a great catch and thanks for weighing in.  There is, actually, just about 1/4 inch of clearance between the bottom of the frame and the bottom of the nuc but as you suggest that is too close for comfort.  I think on this one I will either modify with the furring strips or test drive using mediums and have them build some comb off the bottom of the bars.  The next one, however, will be furred.

Thanks again for the astute observation!
Jeff.

Offline DCHoneybees

• House Bee
    • DC Honeybees
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 01:45:21 pm »

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 03:10:16 pm »
That's awesome, DC!  I've been toying with the same concept since I visited my local queen breeder and saw his set up. 

I was wondering, though, about top covers.  I know since it's a standard box I could use standard tops, but if I have to open the box, won't that create trouble having both nucs opened at once?

How about making a lid that piano hinges (or some such concept) in the middle so you only had to open one side at a time?  Or, just a split lid?

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 03:18:33 pm »
Or, just a split lid?

You use a split inner cover, or I have also saw people use burlap for an inner cover

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:27:27 pm »
Thank you!  My husband will be happy to know I've just added another item to the "please make for me" list!  :-D

Offline Course Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 03:33:16 pm »
That looks really good DC I'm going to have to order or build a couple more deep boxes now. I'm thinking if I use your entrance board or something similar on top I can stack them on top of a full sized hive to share heat for wintering.

Tim
Tim