Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member in Massachusetts  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Hayzi8

• Brood
New Member in Massachusetts
« on: May 31, 2013, 08:42:01 am »
I just joined this morning!
I've been interested in Beekeeping for the past several years... but watching bees going in and out of a section of my house and decided to join to figure out what to do... They are going into my foundation and are most likely in my cellar ceiling. How much damage can happen if  left for a bit? Can they be smoked out? Is it time to invest in a "new home...i.e. a hive" for them? Will they transfer?

Offline S.Rummings

• House Bee
    • Organic Fertilizer
Re: New Member in Massachusetts
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 10:00:51 am »
Welcome! Sounds like you are already a beekeeper! Search trapout and cutout.
They can make a mess and the longer they are in there the more you will have to clean out but I am talking weeks or months, not days. The mess will not be bad unless you remove the bees & leave the hive. Try to find a local bee club to join and get some first hand advice. If they are in your ceiling you will want to clean everything out and seal the hole so they don't come back.

You can't smoke them out.

You can move them to a hive and keep them in your yard if you do it right.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 05:12:14 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Hayzi8.  So you have a hive but no supers.  I have done a cut out or two, but not out of a house, yet.  Some of these guys have a great deal of experince doing that.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline phill

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 07:07:47 pm »
Welcome, Hayzi8!
Where are you in Massachusetts? There are a few people who might help you with removal.
If the bees are comfortable in your basement, smoke by itself won't get them out. It's going to take some work.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:21:41 pm »
leaving them won't harm your house as long as they are keeping house.  there are times when things go wrong and you end up with dripping honey....
the biggest problem with leaving them, as mentioned above, is that the hive and stored honey will grow. 

there is a section on here on removals.  many good ideas and videos.  also, check out
 https://www.facebook.com/groups/564671753583530/?fref=ts
and
beemasters FB site:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/55633188198/?fref=ts

i'll drop a note to someone i know from your state if you want.  PM me your email if you want me to pass it on to her.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything