Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from Central North Carolina  (Read 3420 times)

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Greetings from Central North Carolina
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:11:05 pm »
I just finished joining, so I figured I'd step in and introduce myself.

I've been beekeeping for a few years now. I got started when I took an intro to beekeeping class at NC State Univ. I'm still a student, but now in Law School, and I wander between Greensboro and Raleigh, NC.

I still have a hard time with beekeeping, mainly because I don't really have the time to commit in early spring. It really sucks.

As a result, my largest problems are controling swarms. Last year I had five hives, divided them into seven, then due to swarms and wax moths I lost all but two. One died out early winter, and the other I think might not make it. Going to check up and see where they are at next weekend. Hopefully they make it.

Just built an OH and bought a few frames of brood off Iddee (thanks buddy). I'm looking to buy two or three more hives to repopulate what I lost last spring and winter. (If anyone knows anyone that is trying to get rid of a few full hives in the central NC area, let me know, nucs and packages are good, but full wintered hives are even better :) ).

I'm not a good beekeeper, I'm having hard times keeping them here, and keeping them calm, but I'm trying and learning from my mistakes.

Oh, and I look foreward to learning more.

Offline troutstalker2

• House Bee
Re: Greetings from Central North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:32:15 pm »

Welcome from Hickory, NC. I've been into it for about two years. Last year I learned a few things about swarms also, but we are in it to learn and learn we will. I have 3 hives, have not lost any yet, but have not gotten a lot of honey either. I'm hoping this year will be a little  better in that respect.
    Again, welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions; you will learn a lot here.

David

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:34:30 pm »
Specialkayme, welcome to our forum, so nice that you have found us.  Sorry to hear of your loss of the bees.  These things do, unfortunately, happen.  Swarming is one of the most difficult things for the beekeeper, if you don't have the time to pay close attention to them.  This can be a place where you can tell your tales, stories and experiences, learn new stuff, teach stuff, give advice, take advice and make new friends.  Stick around.  Have a wonderful, great day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:04:36 pm »
Hello and Welcome Specialkayme
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:07:57 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the well wishing.

I wish I had specific questions to ask, but the general lack of knowledge in certain areas makes me feel uncomfortable posting questions like:

"How do I stop my bees from swarming?"
"Why do my bees get so angry?" ----- (I don't think they are that angry, but the ones I buy are ALWAYS so much calmer than mine)
"How do you use a swarm trap?"

Or the like. I think I'll try and not feel like a 2 year old and read what everyone else posted before I start with the broad questions.

But thanks guys.

Offline manfre

• House Bee
    • Backyard Apiary
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 03:23:22 pm »
Hello specialkayme, I'm very new to beekeeping (no hives yet) and right in your area.
Backyard Apiary - My adventures in beekeeping.
Brewed By Us - A social site for homebrewers (beer, mead, etc.) to share recipes and brew journals.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 03:38:27 pm »
Hello specialkayme, I'm very new to beekeeping (no hives yet) and right in your area.

manfre,
No Bees.... :idunno:

Sounds to me, like you should be setting out some swarm boxes over at specialkayme's place. Sounds like many swarm opportunities.  ;)

Welcome aboard specialkayme.... :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:37:27 pm »

manfre,
No Bees.... :idunno:

Sounds to me, like you should be setting out some swarm boxes over at specialkayme's place. Sounds like many swarm opportunities.  ;)

Welcome aboard specialkayme.... :-D

My house is very close to Cary, so yeah, all you would need is a swarm trap somewhere in cary and I'm sure you'd make bank. Haha.

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 03:43:10 pm »
Hopefully you have been able to get some replacement hives and are ready for the Tulip Poplar nectar flow.  It should start in the next week or so.

...Tim

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 04:13:19 pm »
Glad to see you found us. Remember, when things are as bad as they can get, the only way to go from there is up.  :lol: Things will get better.
Glad I could help.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 04:48:11 pm »
sounds like special should put some swarm traps out at his house!  :-D

take an old super.  put some old comb in it.  set it away from your yard a bit.  see what happens!  catching swarms is good.  catching your own swarms is great!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 05:40:54 pm »
Welcome! Seems there are now quite a few of us here from the NC Triangle/Triad area.

So when are you going to invite us all to your place to set swarm traps? (just kidding)
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Little John_NC

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 11:50:39 am »
Another Tar Heel  :-D WELCOME  specialkayme :-D
Im way south of you on the Great Peedee River bout 16 miles west of Rockingham NC.
Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!

anything