Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Horizontal Hives/IPM Question  (Read 2961 times)

Offline EOC

• New Bee
Horizontal Hives/IPM Question
« on: November 06, 2007, 01:15:03 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has used a horizontal hive that isnt top bar, but uses typical frames.

Ive been considering this and think that it may be a lot less equipment restrictive to start out with a hive like this, my only question is there anything I could design into the hive for pest management?

Thanks for any replies!

Chad

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Horizontal Hives/IPM Question
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 02:10:13 pm »
You would probably need a follower board to keep the area manageable for bees until the colony grows. I had some other comments but they floated away............
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:08:13 pm »
>I was wondering if anyone has used a horizontal hive that isnt top bar, but uses typical frames.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshorizontalhives.htm

>Ive been considering this and think that it may be a lot less equipment restrictive to start out with a hive like this, my only question is there anything I could design into the hive for pest management?

Heres a SBB in one with top bars in it, but medium frames fit this box just as well.
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/TTBHOpen.JPG

Natural comb or small cell will work either way.  :)
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnaturalcell.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline EOC

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:23:16 am »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Ive read a lot about small cell size being helpful in reducing mites, but I know next to nothing about it. If I place foundation with small cells in the hive would bees right out of a package draw on it? Or do I need to regress them?

My understanding was that the bees had to be regressed over several generations. Am I wrong or am I missing something?

Offline EOC

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:25:32 am »
Nevermind I read Mb's link.

Thanks though. :-D

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:16:12 am »
>Ive read a lot about small cell size being helpful in reducing mites, but I know next to nothing about it. If I place foundation with small cells in the hive would bees right out of a package draw on it? Or do I need to regress them?

If you're lucky the package you got came off of Mann lake PF100s which are already 4.95mm but people using them don't usually know it. Or they came off of Pierco frames or foundation which (depending on the depth and the style) is about 5.25mm.  If so they will draw 4.9mm right out of the package.  If not,  you may have to regress them.  I've had no troubles with the Mann Lake PF100 and PF120s (other Mann Lake products are 5.4mm) and package bees have been drawing it perfectly right out of the box.

Also PermaComb is 5.0mm equivalent and Honey Super Cell is 4.9mm equivalent and it's already drawn so there is no problem getting them to draw it.  Just put a package on nothing but that and they will have no choice but to use it and once they use it it's well accepted.

So the answer is, maybe.  If you put them on just wax and if they came from smaller cells (Pierco or Mann Lake PF100 or PF120s) then they will probably draw it fine.  If you put them on PF 100 or PF120s they will probably draw it fine.  If you put them on PermaComb or Honey Super Cell they don't HAVE to draw it.  So in all those cases you may be able to skip regression and they may go right to 4.9mm (or at least 5.0mm in the case of the PermaComb).
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline EOC

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:15:21 pm »
Thanks for the advice Michael.

Im trying to make as few errors early on so I can at least get off to a good start.