Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Let's do a Rollcall of Aussies on the Forum  (Read 43494 times)

Offline Big Harold

• New Bee
Re: Let's do a Rollcall of Aussies on the Forum
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2012, 06:54:44 am »
Thanks Lone
I thought I might have offended someone when no one posted.
Went for a walk today and inspected from outside as we have a total fire ban. Saw lots of bees coming in to the hives with pollen so hopefully all will be good. Also saw a drone or a queen come inio the hive not sure whitch as I only got a quick look.
Just got a new fridge so the old one will be used for frames. It should hold 4 supers, this will do until I can get my coolroom.
Most of the frames are in poor condition so I will try and remove a couple of empty ones and replace with new.
Will the dry conditions affect the bees?
Thanks Mark

Offline johnauck

• House Bee
  • Smalltime Beekeeper In Victoria Australia
    • Our Permaculture SIte
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2012, 07:32:20 pm »
Hi! John here from Heathmont, Melbourne.

We started with a single hive from a swarm we captured in Mount Dandenong 3 years ago. Last year I made a successful split and we moved one of the hives to our second property, a hobby farm in South Gippsland. The farm is zoned rural so we can have any number of hives there.

I hope to expand the apiary to about 12 hives. So far this season I have split our suburban hive, which didn't go quite to plan, I suspect we lost the old queen in the process, so both hives look like they have been queenless. There were queen cells, the bees have been foraging and don't seem anxious so I am hoping they have raised new queens. Will inspect early next week when the weather is warmer. Unfortunately I do not have a hive that is strong enough to donate brood if required. But I do know another local beekeeper who may help out if asked.

Also captured a nice swarm 2 weeks ago, 1 meter off the ground in a shrub in our front yard. Very quiet bees too. This colony was taken down to our farm and appears to be doing well.

So we now have four hives in two locations. I have setup a super as a swarm trap (with a commercial queen lure from Bobs) on our balcony not far from the previous swarm. I hope we catch some bees soon.

regards

john

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2012, 05:02:07 am »
I thought I might have offended someone when no one posted.
It's ok, Harold/Mark, we try not to discriminate against the blues here.  I'm sure your beekeepers are just as good, even if you do have rugby issues.

Does a total fire ban include smokers?

You'd be lucky to spot a queen returning from a mating flight but it is possible.  A drone is more common, a big boof-headed male that lazes around and likes to be fed   :)

It is expensive running fridges for bee gear, but really is the best option.  Moths can ruin good frames in a very short period.  Yes, it is always good to circulate frames.  You might like to move two frames in the brood box towards the edge each year, then when they have no brood or only capped brood move them into the honey super and clean them of old comb or replace them when you've extracted.  This will recycle all your frames in 5 years.  But don't worry about that yet.

The dry certainly can affect flowering, although some things only seem to flower when it's dry.  It can help to reduce issues like beetles and mould, though.  Just make sure they have a close water supply.  Ours tend to drink from the rough concrete sides of a goldfish pond and ignore the waterlilies we planted for them.

Hello John,  I put our limit at 10 hives which we reached last weekend, but then the offsider went and bought gear for 3 more hives.  Geoff comes from Gippsland, our Yinnar Fellar.  He has lemon scented pink flowering gum but he won't let us steal any.
Congrats on the swarm.  I've never had a hive swarm.  Let us know how your split hives fare.

Lone

Offline johnauck

• House Bee
  • Smalltime Beekeeper In Victoria Australia
    • Our Permaculture SIte
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2012, 06:31:36 am »

Hi Lone,

with regards to my split, I examined both hives yesterday. The parent hive has two frames of sealed brood now, so that looks promising. May be I need to get my eyes checked, because I was sure I did not see any lava or eggs about 10 days ago. It does not add up :-)

The split box is not as good. I did see some patches of larva, I hope its not a laying worker. If it is, will a frame of brood with eggs help? I did spend a bit of time looking for a queen, but I am not very experienced and did not spot her (if she is there). I did not use smoke for examining the hives this time, and they were not too angry, except when I bumped frames etc. I was very careful to be slow and smooth when pulling frames but it happens.

My wife is more confident she says just let them go another week then worry about it. I think she understands bee math better or just more patient.

In any case I do have access to other beeks who can help if I need help. But advice here is welcome.

regards

john

Offline WABEE

• Brood
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2012, 10:21:33 am »
WABEE here in Wanneroo 30 km north of Perth, Western Australia, (Been in AUS
I know nothing about beekeeping but have a wild hive in my garden I knew about it about 6 weeks ago but left it alone I have just returned from a 4 week trip to the UK and with the weather warming  up the activity has hugely increased to a level that worries me regarding the safety of my son
Today my neighbour told me he saw a swarm 6 weeks ago.approximately and that it was large and darkened the sky above his patio I need to know if A) the bees are of use to anyone B) is it legal to remove them? C) Who lives close enough if legal to take them as I really really don't want them being destroyed.

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2012, 09:58:25 pm »
I'm a newbie from .... hmmm ... not sure which state to lay my allegiance against. Born in QLD, married a NSW man, spent a few years in WA and used to own a small farm in TAS. Now we're travelling Australia in a caravan. But despite all that I am here!

I'll have to wait until we buy another block before getting some hives. Does that make me a 'wannabee' instead of a 'newbee'?
Jeanette

Offline ozebee

• House Bee
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2012, 05:28:20 am »
My name is Andrew and I just joined the forum and looking forward to participating. Located in Sydney Lower North Shore, have been beekeeping for over 20 years. Had a break for last 4-5 years but starting to build up some 4-5 colonies.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2012, 09:13:18 am »
We have a member named Mick that used to come on quite often and join us in ventrilo.Geoff and Mick were able to give me a great feel of the people of Australia.I am glad to have met Geoff and talked with Mick as much as we used to do.You Aussies are a good bunch! :)

Offline Honey Gold

• New Bee
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2012, 03:55:32 am »
Well there is nothing more Aussie than being from a place called something like Wagga Wagga. My real name is Amanda, and I'm a newbie beekeeper with two hives which have only been in operation for just over 3 weeks. Good to see so many other Aussies here!

Offline bernsad

• House Bee
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2012, 06:38:25 am »
G'day Amanda and welcome to the forum.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #110 on: December 22, 2012, 01:37:00 am »
G'day all!
I'm as new as can be on this forum. Left another bee forum as there seemed to be to many **** around. ( I think the moderator would slip them in if somebody said " bum" rather then bees bottom. Funny mob.
I'm near Maleny ( I will introduce myself on the forum page when my grandkids show me how). I'm a wog from way back and near retirement.
I keep around 15 to 20 hives and a few nuc's ( which I sell), run some cattle and chooks and we have a big garden.
I have kept bees for about 30 plus years and still learning.
Glad I found this rollcall!!

Offline gail54

• Brood
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2013, 02:27:24 am »
Hi All my name is Gail I live in Wallan Victoria, I am new to bee keeping with only a year under my belt, still sooo much to learn. Ihave to be a dinky di Ausie as I own a Blue Heeler lol

If any one knows some one in my area who could teach me I would be greatful

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2013, 12:38:54 am »
G'day Wabee, Jeanette, Andrew, Amanda, Buzzbee (oops I think you've been here before), Max and Gail.

Gail, two red heelers, 2 aussie terrior mutts, a kelpie and a kelpie/heeler here so I guess I'm as aussie as you are. haha  Rawfind (Neil) on the forum comes from Wallan I believe.

Lone

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2013, 04:26:50 am »
Hi to all forum members,

After reading the forum as a guest, and obtaining hints and ideas and some interesting reading re others experiences, I have now registered.
I am an Aussie and have lived in Queensland all my life. I have been interested in bees for a number of years (not giving my age away) and been keeping them for over 30 yrs. I have down sized and now only have 4 hives.

Kevin

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2013, 05:15:25 am »
Hi All my name is Gail I live in Wallan Victoria, I am new to bee keeping with only a year under my belt, still sooo much to learn. Ihave to be a dinky di Ausie as I own a Blue Heeler lol

If any one knows some one in my area who could teach me I would be greatful

Welcome Gail.
I meant to reply to this the other day but then forgot  :roll:
I am in Epping so not too far from you. There are a couple of us in the North now.
Maybe we should have a get together sometime?
Cheers.
Paul.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2013, 08:25:53 am »
Hello Kevin.  Always good to see another banana bender.  Now we just need to know how old you are seeing as you are keeping that concealed   :-D

Lone

Offline Old McMillans Farm

• Brood
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2013, 09:26:15 pm »
Hi Steve, Mac from Old McMillans farm, not sure if you're the correct Steve but here goes, I recieved a reply from my introduction to Beemaster.com from Steve in Dubbo linking me to a Gumtree ad that had 36 hives at $50 a stack.  I checked them out this morning and all that I checked looked healthy. THey want to sell the lot but I cannot afford that kind of $$$ . I only want 2, & i can move another 10 but thirty six is too many. If you want them, all bar 2 for myself,maybe we can come to an arrangement as far as transport out to Dub Vegas.
 So if this is the Steve that replied to my post give me a buzz on 0434 598 747 
 Cheers Mac

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2013, 10:41:28 pm »
Cheers Mac, it was good talking to you.
Good luck and enjoy the buzz its fun and frustrating all at the same time.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Chevy

• New Bee
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:49 pm »
Hi All,

I'm Jay from Brisbane... New to this and have had two hives for a massive 3 weeks... Learning curve is steep right now... But a great journey so far..

Offline Charles Sen

• New Bee
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2013, 07:53:49 am »
Hi! Charles here and I am from Brisbane. I am only just getting started in bees and pick up my hive next weekend. I spent an enjoyable afternoon today inspecting my new hive at the beekeepers apairy and other hives and learning heaps. Can't wait to pick it up and get it home.