Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2655 times)

Offline b_strange

• Brood
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:24:36 am »
Hello All,

I am new to the Beemaster forum and have just moved to Giles County, VA in the Appalachian mountains. My family and I moved back home to start a farm and part of the plan was bees so we started in Chesapeake, VA (where we were living at the time) last year with two hives. We moved and had to leave the hives behind for about three weeks before I could find a farmer willing to let me place the hives on his land here in Giles Co. While we were gone SHB and wax moths destroyed both hives and we lost them as well as all the drawn comb.  The bees were on foundationless frames in mediums and were both very strong before we left. Does anyone have any nucs or hives for sale this late in the season?

Thank you!
Brent

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:00:05 am »
Welcome to the forum Brent.

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:57:16 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Brent.   :cheer:

Please consider changing your profile to include Giles County, VA. That way we can hopefully give you better advice (as it is winter in Australia).  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 02:21:10 pm »
True, Mike.  I see current temperature in VA is 76 F and ours was 76 F during the day   :-D

Welcome, Brent.

Lone

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 11:41:55 am »
Welcome to the forum, Brent.  I have had more trouble with SHB and moths than ever this year also.  Good luck

Joe

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 10:32:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:23:36 am »
Sorry about your bees.  That is a bummer. :(

Beautiful country in your neck of the woods and enough elevation to escape the southern heat. 

Hey, I’ve always got bees I can sell anytime of the year, but Michigan is a pretty long trek from Blacksburg. :-D  I would find a local beek in the area or check Craigslist for swarm postings.  There's plenty of bees out there.  Bees are still swarming in Michigan.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 09:51:03 pm »
I have a few nucs 150 miles from you, but they are in deeps.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 01:13:04 pm »
Welcome to the forum Brent.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin