Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Records / information recorded on the apiary  (Read 2056 times)

Offline beeser

• New Bee
Records / information recorded on the apiary
« on: October 24, 2012, 04:05:50 pm »
I'm interested in experiences and practices of small, medium and large beekeepers ... do you record certain information by hive? regular checkups? production? weather? varoa? anything?

do you write all on paper? on hive? some software?
how useful is writing of the infos for you?

I believe that a lot of times (at least those with a lot of hives) it is to hard work and record information at the same time because you only have two hands. If someone assists you - you will probably prefer to help you physically and not just typing on your cell phone or written down on paper.

Here I am interested in the relevance of recording information, how you do it and how much is it useful?

Thx much

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
Re: Records / information recorded on the apiary
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:23:23 pm »
For those who I have mentored, I have noticed some record to little information. When something goes wrong, they then record way to much. These beeks learn but through a lot of trial and error.

Others have fun and record good information (time of day, temp., general weather, hive temperament, and even how they feel). Many even take pictures. This group seams to learn faster and asks many very good questions.

In both cases they use a small tablet (paper kind) or they record on their phones so they can write it down later.

The beeks I help within the club with many hives usually 'play it by ear' as much of what they do is from many years of beekeeping (20-40 years). They record and photo items of interest they have not seen before or want to share with the club.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:29:42 pm »
I keep all the needed info in my head.  Just 12 hives.

Offline BabcockFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:23:06 pm »
I created a spreadsheet that includes date, weather, strength, queen presence, mite info, disease presence, and much more. Each colony has it's own sheet.

The other thing I do when I do a full inspection is to video tape it to refer back to at the end if the day. My memory is effected and less analytical when distracted by the moment. It is far easier to analyze and document the inspection when I'm in the comfort of my office.
Ron Babcock

"I believe the good that men do, will live long after they gone."
                                                                                                                          ~Mr. Fox Haas

<

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 09:53:09 pm »
I just use a magic marker and write notes on the lid.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:39:51 pm »
I use the hive tracker software it is easy to use can also use it on my phone

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 12:17:26 am »
I'm interested in experiences and practices of small, medium and large beekeepers ... do you record certain information by hive? regular checkups? production? weather? varoa? anything?

no records
Language barrier NOT included

Offline BrentX

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 04:00:47 pm »
I found basic record keeping to be very helpful in my comparing current year to prior years.  As time goes on i need the notebook less, but still enjoy keeping it.  I use a nice bound notebook and a good pen.  Occasionally pictures are inserted, but more often sketches.  If a particular hive has a special observation, I stop to make notes after closing up the hive and before going on to the next. Otherwise I summarize observations after stepping out of the apiary.   There is a record of the friends and visitors to the apiary.  This years honey bootling/honey tasting/wine drinking party is well recorded.  These are fun to look at in the dead of winter, and help in planning for the coming season.  I have similar note books for cheese and wine making.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 04:14:43 pm »
I bought a commercial record program from internet to see, what is the contents.

What I have seen them, they concentrate to select good mother hives to rear queens.
Then like this program, has stupid questions, like  do they bring pollen, nectar,. have they traffic...

But I thinked over what is the idea to remember things and I found that dipends on the site of season and goals of summer along.

First goal is to look, is everything allright after winter

Then the goal is to make colonies fat. What helps in that? What you can do than wait. Mostly it just happens and I add boxes.

Then comes swarming period....and looking after queen cells, making false swarms, ..it would be good to remember when

After that it comes main flow and extracting, more room, that and that and that

In August it is time to reduce hives to winter positions. Hives are so different..

I have not met a program which has been devided to seasons what I should rebember.

There are very different tasks along the summer.

To remember clip a wing of all queens, that is good to remember.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 10:01:58 am »
Recording inspections 'was' always a primary failure on my part IMO.  I've tried a few methods. 

Even w/ just 10 colonies it was hard to keep track of things (for me anyway).  Now I number each hive/colony (by its  position in the beeyard) and have a small notebook for each one.  Its been working great and I no longer have to 'remember' everything and can spend more time just enjoying.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."